Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Do You Dislike or Hate About Ubuntu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Unity which looks and behaves great, but needs some more polish. I like to see categories in menu. I'm starting to like Empathy, because it's more feature rich than last time. I like there are ppa's and I like easy installation of codecs etc. I don't like Banshee, because it's slow and unresponsive. I found Amarok to be far better. It doesn't become unresponsive when it scans collection (banshee even hung in the end), Amarok is using much less memory on my box (about 1/3 less than banshee), has many more features and far better interface imo. I don't like mono. Replacing mono apps to its equivalents will free some space on the CD. I don't like upstart, because I have to edit files to stop services from autoloading. I found Fedora to be far better in many things - systemd, yum and presto plugin (it can reduce update size from 250MB to 20MB which is something wonderful!), Fedora provides updates if there are new packages, so I don't have to use ppa.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      How can people stand to use ALSA without PulseAudio in this day and time? It's awful. I had nothing but trouble in my recent KDE tests (low sound quality, high CPU usage, applications bypassing kmix) that were magically solved as soon as I installed Pulse.

Why don't you like NetworkManager? I think it's awesome both in its gnome and kde flavors (the gnome flavor is a bit more mature, so I tend to have both installed).
      On the slight possibility that you're actually serious....

Pulse:

Why should I have an unnecessary library installed (=bloat), why should I have to run an unnecessary daemon (=bloat & wasted resources), all for less functionality?

It breaks apps, uses more cpu, is one more layer.

NetworkMisManager:

There have been far better rants written on that than what I can write. But if you really haven't read any of them, the main points are that it gets in the way, can't handle static IPs, and you can't make it ignore some interfaces.

Try setting an IP yourself, I dare you. NMM will reset it for you in a couple of minutes.

Comment

(Did I mention I hate Python with a passion and wish that I could run my system without a python interpreter even installed?)
        I did, but nowadays I have to install it for the duration of compiling Mesa. Perhaps that would be a good use of time; python-removal patches there

Comment

Originally posted by dfblogic View Post
          It really bugs me that there are "-dev" versions of packages. That is a Debian feature, of course, and other distros have the same. While not a violation of the letter of the GPL, it seems to me to be a violation of the spirit.
          While at some point this annoyed me and forced me to install the development versions of some libraries (not that hard in any case), I don't see how this is a violation of the GPL in any way.

Here's why it bugs me: I work on an free game derived from Quake2 GPL'd code. Like many open source projects, for Linux, we distribute a tarball with an Autotools build, and have a Subversion repository with read-only public access.
          Yes, and like many other open source projects yours seems to fall in the same kind of disconnection with final users, if not reality. What on earth do you want me to do with your svn repository? I don't want to have anything to do with it, at all. I just want to play your game, not looking up how to fetch source code, how to build it, witness errors running down a terminal and chase libraries, only to find out that sound doesn't work or that it crashes at the menu screen.

I would guess that most of our Linux user base are Ubuntu users and, it is a good (even great) thing that Ubuntu makes Linux more accessible. However, it is a pain that the user cannot build an open source program with the default library install; they have to make a special effort to get build tools and the "-dev" versions of libraries. Like many open source projects, we do not have a lot of resources for pre-release testing; we really depend on our regular user base for this. The "-dev" version thing just makes that a little harder.
          You are making a game, you are the main stakeholder, it's your responsibility to distribute it in a working state so that users can try it in the easiest way possible. Whatever your software is about, and except for the simplest projects out there, I find it hard to believe that building a couple of binaries represents a significant amount of work compared to what it takes to actually coding it.

Some would, and have, pointed out that it would be a dangerous thing for regular users to be able to build programs. But, isn't that what the GPL is about? I concede that there are environments where that restriction would be needed. However, seems to me the default should be the other way around with "non-dev" packaging being the special case.

No doubt this is not going to change, but, having ranted, I feel better now.
          No, the GPL is not about me, a user, building your code in order to use it. It's about you distributing it in certain way, and about certain rights and obligations connected to it. I am grateful that you decided to use a free license to distribute your software, and I, or somebody else might at some point benefit from your choice. But if you want your game to be played by as many people as possible, you should put a bit of effort towards making it as easy as you can.

Comment

My beef is not necessarily towards Ubuntu. But I use a hardware mixing audio card and can play and record multiple streams of audio without any issues without pulseaudio. So if I had an issue it would definately be with pulseaudio.

With pulseaudio most commercial games under linux have a sound lag. Anyone try the original UT lately? Or maybe Rune... Or how about Northland? Just a few games, but there are plenty more out there that have sound lag because of pulseaudio.

The only benefit I can see that pulseaudio has is for all those people out there that can't spend the extra $30-60 on a hardware mixing audio card. Is that pulseaudio supposedly lets them mix their audio channels.
            Anyone that uses Pulse when was the last time you were able to use Teamspeak, Mangle, play music and hear your game audio while chatting with friends all at the same time without lag?

I have actually had to, been forced to, move to Gentoo since I can put -pulseaudio in the use flags.
            Last edited by MNKyDeth; 23 July 2011, 08:12 AM.

Comment

I absolutely HATE bash-completion and command-not-found, it drives me crazy. I've apt-get remove'd both but for some reason it just doesn't go away fully. I think I even removed something from /etc/bashrc.d.

God I hate that fucking thing. Totally ruined Ubuntu for me.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
                I absolutely HATE bash-completion and command-not-found, it drives me crazy. I've apt-get remove'd both but for some reason it just doesn't go away fully. I think I even removed something from /etc/bashrc.d.

It has something to do with your .bashrc, IIRC.

That said, why on earth would you dislike tab completion? It's a massive time saver. I've only seen it bug out once or twice; autocompleting /media would curiously complete to /media/cdrom0/ on my 9.04 install.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post

Wow.

That's weird.

I think there's a file in /etc/profile.d that needs to be removed.

Comment

Lets see...one point at a time:

Fedora and other RPM distributions have -devel packages just like (or similar to) debian's -dev packages.

Pulse can solve problems with alsa similarly to how C++ can solve problems with C or assembly; it knows more about various applications are trying to do and(/because it) lives more in user-space, it can perform some optimization which aren't possible at a lower level (of course, the reverse can also be true). FWIW, I'd prefer a setup with just OSS(4), but I can live with alsa/pulse. (there was recently a blog post about how pulse can reduce hardware wake-ups, too; Edit: Here)

NetworkManager: You can setup a static IP by disabling dhcp in the connection settings. You can even keep dhcp enabled but set the DNS servers yourself. You can also set it up to share your internet connection, though I've had mixed results with that. I can survive without NM, but it does provide a lot of convenience for the casual desktop user.
                    Last edited by Nobu; 23 July 2011, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tuppe666 View Post
                      Unity...and random muting of sound during upgrades. Not feeling Gnome3 either though; I have a 22" monitor. Linux Mint had been more popular on Distrowatch for 3 months and the only difference I can see is no unity
                      Linux mint:
                      - you can propose an application or improvement and pay its developers to make it. Opensource in the end.
                      - software is a lot more stable, usually you will never ever need to go in console or tty. ever.
                      - the updates are divided by privileges, so by default it does not update the packages possibly requiring knowledge or those able to break the system. This is ideal for newbies.
                      - no stupid marketing and corporate zombifying, just trying to make good and easy desktop os.
                      - there is edition capable of running on top of debian.

Mint is ubuntu done right.

Comment

Working...
                      X