At Long Last, CentOS 6.0 ISOs Finally Surface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ninez View Post
    but in the workplace it's great. you have years and years of security/updates (like 7yrs i think).
    Unless you are in that 3 month window between point releases where you receive no security updates and are vulnerable.

You're better off paying for Oracle Linux if you need a cheap RHEL. Scientific Linux, while an option, will really only last as long as Fermi and CERN are funded.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
      Unless you are in that 3 month window between point releases where you receive no security updates and are vulnerable.

You're better off paying for Oracle Linux if you need a cheap RHEL. Scientific Linux, while an option, will really only last as long as Fermi and CERN are funded.
      Do you even know how much their latest particle accelerator cost?!? XD

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
        Do you even know how much their latest particle accelerator cost?!? XD
        And Scientific Linux only has 2 paid developers I believe. So it's not like they're putting all that much money into it compared to other things they do.

CentOS really screwed up on this release. It's too bad they don't allow community involvement in getting releases out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
          ahh, i see. what sort of applications do you use on this workstation? out of curiosity.
          Mostly data recover. However the person using it claimed that CentOS had special patches that made certain filesystems faster... so essentially bs.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post

that hardly matters to me, these machines don't face the outside, and have a hefty wall of security in between. and im not interested in using Oracle. i don't like Oracle in general

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
              And Scientific Linux only has 2 paid developers I believe. So it's not like they're putting all that much money into it compared to other things they do.
              Three, they hired someone to focus solely on rebuilding security updates around the 6.0 release so that 5.5 would get timely updates before the 5.6 release.

Comment

Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
                Mostly data recover. However the person using it claimed that CentOS had special patches that made certain filesystems faster... so essentially bs.
                Ya, I've never heard of these 'special file-system' patches. i don't know who told you that, but it does sound like BS. lol.

Comment

Working...
                X