Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scientific Linux Marches On While CentOS 6 Is Still M.I.A.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientific Linux Marches On While CentOS 6 Is Still M.I.A.

Phoronix: Scientific Linux Marches On While CentOS 6 Is Still M.I.A.

Red Hat released Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0 in November after it was available as beta for months prior. It took a few months for the Scientific Linux developers to release Scientific Linux 6.0, as their community rebuild of the RHEL6.0 packages, and shortly thereafter Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.1 was released. The Scientific Linux developers are now preparing to do their 6.1 release while the well-known CentOS team still hasn't even done their CentOS 6.0 release yet with eight months having passed since the official RHEL release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know. I used to be all for CentOS, but their blundering path in getting 6.0 out has really put me off of it. I've moved my servers over to SL, and to be honest, SL is the same as CentOS, just better at actually being productive.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      I don't know. I used to be all for CentOS, but their blundering path in getting 6.0 out has really put me off of it. I've moved my servers over to SL, and to be honest, SL is the same as CentOS, just better at actually being productive.
      The 6.0 release isn't important, the fact that there were 3 months without security updates for 5.5 before the 5.6 release is. Johnny Hughes response to complaints about that lag:

Can't you ungrateful bastards take the free software I make by following the licensing requirements and be happy with that?

Comment

If you look at the CentOS QA calendar, you will see that the sync process has again slipped a few days. It is now announced for 1st July for internal sync, and monday 4 for external sync.

So, there is still a little chance that SL 6.1 will be released before CentOS 6.0. But I think nevertheless that CentOS 6.0 will be released a few days before SL 6.1.

Concerning CenrOS 5.6, the 3 months delay was obviously a problem for updates. I don't think it is Enterprise class to have 3 months without security updates. The same problem will arise with CentOS 6.0. As RHEL 6.1 is released and security updates are published for this point release, I guess there will be no major CentOS 6.0 deployment till CentOS 6.1 relaese...

Scientific Linux does not have the same problem. They backport security/bug uodates to previous point releases, at the cost of loss of strict binary compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by alain View Post
          Concerning CenrOS 5.6, the 3 months delay was obviously a problem for updates. I don't think it is Enterprise class to have 3 months without security updates. The same problem will arise with CentOS 6.0. As RHEL 6.1 is released and security updates are published for this point release, I guess there will be no major CentOS 6.0 deployment till CentOS 6.1 relaese...
          The test for the ungrateful CentOS using bastards will be whether or not their newfangled and optional repository for backported patches will keep 6.0 up to date.

Comment

Working...
          X