Fedora 15 Lovelock Has Been Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdias View Post
    You are very misinformed. It's one thing to say that you don't like it or disagree with it, but it's another thing to say that there is no basis around their decisions. If you subscribe to their mailing list you will see plenty of discussion justifying a lot of things and links here and there about usability studies and so on.
    I don't understand why they didn't include this in their articles? If they were making such decisions only inside the project such decisions are unjustified - "By Gnomes for Gnomes".

Comment

Well, I'm a fedora fellow since it was Red Hat Linux, and I've never seen such a buggy and incomplete interface.

Comment

I guess you haven't tried F9 + KDe 4.0. What a wonderful disaster it was. But it became pretty usable when KDE 4.1 appeared in the updates.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          I don't understand why they didn't include this in their articles? If they were making such decisions only inside the project such decisions are unjustified - "By Gnomes for Gnomes".
          I would like to see it all in one place too. Don't know why they don't do it, maybe they lack the time to do it. That doesn't mean they don't listen to you or that their decisions are unjustified. It's in your best interests to join the discussion on the list.
          Here are some points that were taken into account when designing GNOME 3: https://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2011...inter-control/

Really, if you are interested in this kind of stuff, you'll like reading the gnome-shell-list.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeno View Post
            I guess you haven't tried F9 + KDe 4.0. What a wonderful disaster it was. But it became pretty usable when KDE 4.1 appeared in the updates.
            KDE wasn't ready for production yet. It was aimed at end users with 4.2 release. :P

Comment

Originally posted by mdias View Post
              Really, if you are interested in this kind of stuff, you'll like reading the gnome-shell-list.
              Thanks, I will take a look at some things.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeno View Post
                Actually I never tried fedora + kde. Always been stick with gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  Simply, usability studies. I took a look at gnome.org about gnome shell usability and I didn't find anything than: we did the change, because it will improve usability and end user experience etc. This is bullshit and there are no real explanation why they did what they did. I consider Unity is great right now and will be much better in the future. I'd love to see Gnome throwing shell away in the name of Unity. Fedora (so systemd, btrfs, spice and other features)+Unity+the rest of Gnome3 will be a great distribution (much better than Ubuntu imho). If there's still hope Gnome3 will become Linux only and someone fill fix the damn shell it will be also great. There are dozens of features in Linux which can give Gnome quite big advantage.

This Fedora release is great. I'm using KDE spin of course. Messed up Kubuntu can go home.
                  " Usability Studies " ? i dont see any so called studies? got any links to prove these theories of yours? can you theme Unity shell? NO go over to the gnome mailing list an you'll get some facts why the Gnome-shell is so much better than Unity, maybe you should of did that before you made yourself look stupid.

Comment

Yep people are going to beat the crap out of the gnome team.
                    Linux is going to be stuck on 10/08, fedora 14 and the various mint's etc etc.
                    They just lost the game.
                    It was going to well. Someone had to jump up and throw a monkey wrench in it. You can't have free software threatening 150 billion market cap crapple.

Comment

I've been trying to find a UI that works equally well for touch screen as well as "traditional" input. I've been trying Ubuntu's Unity (too restrictive), Xfce+Compiz (not designed for such use -> real fast, but too buggy), KDE4 (very "touch-unfriendly") and finally landed at Gnome shell that actually did most of what I needed - you hit the tablet (or keyboard) "Windows" button and you get the realtime task manager, you pull running app windows from there to the side and they are automatically moved to additional virtual desktops as needed.

Very touch-friendly already at this early stage. Thankfully, as already mentioned, there is some tweaking possible, but there's still a long way to go to reach previous gconf-editor bliss

Unfortunately Linux drivers don't support multitouch for my screen so my experience is restricted to single touch :/ Still, I think touch input is the future, so gnome shell looks like a step in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
                      X