Fedora 15 Lovelock Has Been Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam View Post
    Now, have you heard of the GS extensions? Assuming you have look at this http://intgat.tigress.co.uk/rmy/extensions/index.html. It reimplements launchers, classic menu and more but using gnome 3 tech.
    good luck!
    There are also many nice extensions pre-packaged for fedora

$ yum search gnome-shell-extensions

Comment

Pretty smooth so far, except that gnome-shell seems to happily eat CPU cycles in proportion to the rate of pixels being updated on the screen (a large glxgears window running at 60fps is enough to make it try to eat a whole core, while glxgears itself is under 1%). I assume the compositor is hitting a fallback (default radeon/gallium driver with RV620), but it's annoying either way.

Comment

Originally posted by leif81 View Post
        There are also many nice extensions pre-packaged for fedora

$ yum search gnome-shell-extensions
        Of course that's true, but the reason I mentioned the the above was that it brings much of g2 to the shell.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Try Ubuntu/Unity. Unity is actually improving the user experience, unless the mess that is GNOME Shell.
          how is Unity Improving exactly? i still see many saying on the ubuntu forums how bad it is . iv'e even seen a lot of Ubuntu people download fedora15 cause of how much they loathe Unity

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
            how is Unity Improving exactly? i still see many saying on the ubuntu forums how bad it is . iv'e even seen a lot of Ubuntu people download fedora15 cause of how much they loathe Unity
            Simply, usability studies. I took a look at gnome.org about gnome shell usability and I didn't find anything than: we did the change, because it will improve usability and end user experience etc. This is bullshit and there are no real explanation why they did what they did. I consider Unity is great right now and will be much better in the future. I'd love to see Gnome throwing shell away in the name of Unity. Fedora (so systemd, btrfs, spice and other features)+Unity+the rest of Gnome3 will be a great distribution (much better than Ubuntu imho). If there's still hope Gnome3 will become Linux only and someone fill fix the damn shell it will be also great. There are dozens of features in Linux which can give Gnome quite big advantage.

This Fedora release is great. I'm using KDE spin of course. Messed up Kubuntu can go home.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              Simply, usability studies. I took a look at gnome.org about gnome shell usability and I didn't find anything than: we did the change, because it will improve usability and end user experience etc. This is bullshit and there are no real explanation why they did what they did. I consider Unity is great right now and will be much better in the future. I'd love to see Gnome throwing shell away in the name of Unity. Fedora (so systemd, btrfs, spice and other features)+Unity+the rest of Gnome3 will be a great distribution (much better than Ubuntu imho). If there's still hope Gnome3 will become Linux only and someone fill fix the damn shell it will be also great. There are dozens of features in Linux which can give Gnome quite big advantage.

This Fedora release is great. I'm using KDE spin of course. Messed up Kubuntu can go home.
              You are very misinformed. It's one thing to say that you don't like it or disagree with it, but it's another thing to say that there is no basis around their decisions. If you subscribe to their mailing list you will see plenty of discussion justifying a lot of things and links here and there about usability studies and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
                This is my first exposure to Gnome 3.
                It seems like it takes between two and three times as many interactions (motions/clicks) to do pretty much everything! Launching apps, switching apps, switching desktops, this all takes longer. And WHY? How does a piece of software doubling the time required to complete the main activities it's responsible for not count as complete FAIL? Do I really have to move all the way top left and then all the way right to switch desktops? How is having one screen with a mountain of app icons all lumped together possibly better than organized in menus??
                1) Instead of moving your mouse to the upper left to bring up the dashboard, try your Windows key (assuming your keyboard has one, the Command key on macs also works).

2a) Instead of navigating through menus, you can immediately start typing the program name if you know it.

2b) If you don't know the name of the app, the categorized menus are still available on the right-hand side of the Applications tab. By default, it shows you 'All' applications in a huge alphabetized list, but the sub-categories are still available to browse through.

I haven't gotten the hang of all of the new shortcuts yet, but I prefer GS over Unity myself. Unfortunately, at the moment the Nvidia blob and GS multi-monitor doesn't get along. I'm not sure if that's Gnome's fault or Nvidia's, and I don't need it often enough to bother finding out.

My first Gnome Shell experience was a little scary, but I told myself I'd give it a few weeks to learn to use it, and it's worked well enough that I haven't bothered to go back.

Now to go create a live USB of the new Fedora release and try it out (the wife found a spare 2GB stick in a pile of her conference swag).

Comment

Oh boy, I hate F 15 with a passion because of Gnome 3.
                  No minimize, no maximize, no shutdown, no reboot option, no nothing.
                  And as if that's not annoying as hell yet - I can't put any file on my desktop!
                  I wonder if there can be wackier decisions than these, really, I'm not kidding, I can't come up with something wackier. What's next - no right-click mouse events?
                  Anyway, that's not a new usability paradigm folks, neither a new design as such, it's simply asininity from the Gnome 3 designers. Period.

I don't like Unity3D either, but only because it's glitchy and not yet finished - which will change (with 11.10 hopefully). I do see real (future) value in Unity though - it saves a lot of vertical space.

So I switched back to Ubuntu 10.10 from 11.04 and waiting for 11.10 in hopes for a finished and fixed Unity. No wacky Gnome 3 though because their problem is not technical and hence won't likely be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    I wonder if there can be wackier decisions than these, really, I'm not kidding, I can't come up with something wackier. What's next - no right-click mouse events?
                    Anyway, that's not a new usability paradigm folks, neither a new design as such, it's simply asininity from the Gnome 3 designers. Period.

I don't like Unity3D either, but only because it's glitchy and not yet finished - which will change (with 11.10 hopefully). I do see real (future) value in Unity though - it saves a lot of vertical space.

So I switched back to Ubuntu 10.10 from 11.04 and waiting for 11.10 in hopes for a finished and fixed Unity. No wacky Gnome 3 though because their problem is not technical and hence won't likely be fixed.

gnome-tweak tool is an answer for you.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Shutdown can be added to the menu with an official extension from the fedora repos. AFAIK there is also a way to bring the minimize button back, and probably a way to bring back desktop icons.

Comment

Working...
                      X