Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Ubuntu Still Be Distributed As A CD ISO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LauRoman
    replied
    Originally posted by madjr View Post
    we need [...] a way to install the iso from the hard drive (kind like wubi, but for real installs on their own partition, not inside windows)...
    I think there is a roundabout way of doing that, but i forgot how.

Leave a comment:

• madjr
    replied
    we need an internet install or a way to install the iso from the hard drive (kind like wubi, but for real installs on their own partition, not inside windows), that way it could be as big as they want.

Leave a comment:

• LauRoman
    replied
    Friggin 1 min editing window

By cd and dvd i mean cd an dvd sized image. Ubuntu does include a tool to change the cd into a usb install. However they still cling to that 700mb.

1 minute editing time window sucks on this (new?) version of the forum. Maybe wanna change it to 5-15 min.

Leave a comment:

• LauRoman
    replied
    Ubuntu already has a dvd version. Sadly that only has language packs. An extended versio of ubunt that doesn't exclude aptitude or proposed future exclusion that resembles the vanilla one would be nice but Canonical doesn't really care and i don't know why. Fedora and i think also OpenSUSE have a gnome and kde livecd and a dvd version and Debian has net-install buisnesscard and cd versions (52) and dvd versions (8). I have no ideea why they dont do a 2-3 gb one.

Leave a comment:

• judgen
    replied
    I do not mind the change, BUT

I really want to keep the possibillity to burn a net-boot mini.iso for network install to a CD. The full distro? meh... Then i defer to the earlier speaker as his/her comment is very valid.

Leave a comment:

• mendieta
    replied
    USB, of course

In any modern machine, booting off of USB is easier, cheaper, and faster. Reuse a hundred times if you want. No problems with the freakin' laser, and you can even make it persistent. Nice if you wanna try a couple days.

CD (not DVD) support is important for legacy systems, so you need some sort of simple installer for CD. Or just recomend Lubuntu or Xubuntu for those.

DVD? Isn't that dead already?

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Should Ubuntu Still Be Distributed As A CD ISO?

Should Ubuntu Still Be Distributed As A CD ISO?

Phoronix: Should Ubuntu Still Be Distributed As A CD ISO?

The question of whether the Linux operating system should still be distributed as a 700MB CD ISO or whether they finally need to break that threshold and move to a DVD ISO or a USB-centered image has come up again for the Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X