What's Coming Up For Ubuntu 11.10 & The Summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
    I'm not particularly fond of Banshee either. But Banshee does have Amazon MP3 store integration and that's going to be a source of revenue for Canonical.

IIRC normally the affiliate revenue generated by Banshee's Amazon MP3 store would go to the GNOME foundation but Canonical substituted some strings in the code and now takes a 75% cut of the affiliate revenue. So I think it's unlikely they'll change the music player anytime soon
    At least it's good to hear money goes to Canonical. :P

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820313060

$7 shipped. Save the blank CDs for when you *really* need optical media.
      For the 3+ people that have already responded: i'm mostly waiting for a nice usb3/esata model that is also priced nicely.... And for a motherboard that can take advantage of it.

Most of the conventions I've been to recently didn't have any freebie thumb drives, otherwise I'd already have picked one up. Conference swag has gone downhill over he last few years

And yes, I do have a spindle of blank DVDs laying around. At the rate that I burn new discs, they should last a while:

- Windows/office/VS through the educational downloads sites
      - an ubuntu cd every 6-12 months
      - that's about it. All backups go to USB hard drives and mirrored raid.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
        For the 3+ people that have already responded: i'm mostly waiting for a nice usb3/esata model that is also priced nicely.... And for a motherboard that can take advantage of it.
        It's going to be years before a USB drive saturates a USB2 bus, let alone are fast enough to justify USB3 or eSATA.

Comment

That's assuming you've got a spare USB stick laying around. I've only got the one, and I haven't bothered to buy any extras. I still have a few spindles of blank CDs laying around, and it gives me the peace of mind to know that I've always got a bootable live-cd laying around just in case I need it.

I have also been using CD-RWs when possible to save the waste of a CD-R if I can.

One of these days I'll get around to acquiring another thumb drive, but for now I've still got plenty of spare CDs.
          You can get a 2gb usb drive for under 10 dollars. And there are many that probably do have one lying around. I have 3 usb drives and am all out of cdr's actually, because I only use them for my car.

And with a usb drive all you need is one laying around because you can erase whats on it...

Its 2011, going over 700mb is acceptable. Perhaps they can have a minimal version as well that can fit on a cd, but even if they didn't I don't think it would be a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonno View Post
            Perfectly, as all Qt applications are native Gtk+ applications (when run in a Gtk+ environment).

Qt4 GUI is not a GUI toolkit, but a GUI toolkit wrapper, not unlike gtkmm or Gtk# . Unlike gtkmm and Gtk# , however, it supports using many different toolkits as a backend, including Gtk+, win32, cacao and carbon. It also includes a simple themeable toolkit for situations when no other toolkit is available (such as for Qt/embedded). KDE provides some enhancements to the built in toolkit (such as improved file and print dialogues) as well as a quite good theme (Oxygen), so most KDE centric distros, including Kubuntu, configures that as the default. However, most distros, including Ubuntu, uses the Gtk+ backend by default when inside a GNOME session, so if you are a GNOME user and launches a qt application you should not notice any difference at all.

Note: Some of the KDE enhancements to Qt does not play well with the Gtk+ backend (or Win32 backend for that matter), so some KDE applications might misbehave slightly when run in GNOME, but will generally behave much better than GNOME applications running in KDE.
            Is this a car ad?...it is, isn't it?

On a serious note, I thought wxWidgets was the wrapper to use to solve Linux GUI standards issues, but since Qt is more mature with more features AFAIK for it to be able to do that is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
              It's going to be years before a USB drive saturates a USB2 bus, let alone are fast enough to justify USB3 or eSATA.
              You sure about that? USB 2.0 is 480Mbit/s, which translates roughly to 48 MB/s. My 3+ year old Sandisk Cruzer Micro 2GB pushes 30MB/s, and I've seen plenty of drives in reviews that have pretty much maxed out the USB bus. Most spindle-based drives in an enclosure can also hit this limit.

That being said, I've got no real argument against using USB for installing an OS, as long as the machine you're installing on supports booting from USB. I keep a few CD-RWs around for OS images that I know are only temporary, but installing from thumb drive would work as well, once I figured out how to actually create a bootable thumb drive.

Comment

You sure about that? USB 2.0 is 480Mbit/s, which translates roughly to 48 MB/s. My 3+ year old Sandisk Cruzer Micro 2GB pushes 30MB/s,
                Technically USB 2.0 is 480Mbit/s which = 60MB/s, and most USB Thumb drives usually hit 20MB/s, although USB HDD's are higher.

And in terms of OS Installation, a maxed out USB 2.0 , a 4GB Install size on USB would take 66 seconds to transfer, and im pretty sure USB 3 will be the norm my then

Comment

Working...
                X