X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by devius View Post
    What?? Are you serious? That's simply too ridiculous not to reply...

Have you discovered computers just yesterday? No wait... maybe you have been using CP/M for the last 30 years and don't even know what a mouse is. Here are the steps for finding the mouse settings in ubuntu:

1. press the windows key (or click the ubuntu logo in the top left):
    2. type "settings"
    Type? TYPE? Are you serious? I don't want to type. I want to click. With a mouse. On a menu, that neatly lists all available ways to go from there, like Gnome and KDE, and OS X, and Windows has been doing for ages and everyone knows about.

Are we going back to typing? I might just as well open a terminal. The freaking desktop looks like a freaking android phone that tries to look like a freaking MacBook....

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    It's that you need freaking ages to find what you need. Even something as simple as finding where the damn mouse settings are is a search of epic proportions.
    What?? Are you serious? That's simply too ridiculous not to reply...

Have you discovered computers just yesterday? No wait... maybe you have been using CP/M for the last 30 years and don't even know what a mouse is. Here are the steps for finding the mouse settings in ubuntu:

1. press the windows key (or click the ubuntu logo in the top left):
    2. type "settings"
    3. behold as both the "system settings" and "mouse settings" appear before your eyes

or

1. click the top right button (power button?) on the panel
    2. click on "system settings"
    3. type "mouse"

Note: Up until 11.04 I really disliked ubuntu and have been using KDE for over a year and a half now, and still I was able to find it quite easily. In fact finding stuff is way easier on this new interface than any other desktop environment I tried.

Leave a comment:

• t.s.
    replied
    Oh, and me thinking they're targeting tablet form. Like I said before, IMHO, its good, beautiful, and tidy, but the rest is like realNC said. People will be bored/annoyed fast.

Leave a comment:

• t.s.
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I downloaded this out of curiosity. Oh my god, Unity sucks major! Not the looks of it (it's a Mac OS X rip-off, so it looks good). It's that you need freaking ages to find what you need. Even something as simple as finding where the damn mouse settings are is a search of epic proportions.

Canonical shooting themselves in the foot here.
    Agree.
    it's tidy, it's beautiful, yes.. But not practical.. It's kind of like... Android.. for power-user/hardcore gnomer, it's not really a problem cause you can run the program u want within terminal, or 'run' --alt+f2-- application.

And yes, it looks like MacOSX, more and more.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    I downloaded this out of curiosity. Oh my god, Unity sucks major! Not the looks of it (it's a Mac OS X rip-off, so it looks good). It's that you need freaking ages to find what you need. Even something as simple as finding where the damn mouse settings are is a search of epic proportions.

Canonical shooting themselves in the foot here.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Well most important is the output of

fdisk -ul

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    @deanjo

When you write 1:1 onto usb it does not matter as it is of course aligned. Mainly you can write faster when you use a stick with internal 4k sectors. When your write speed is extremely slow with an usb key you should try to repartition it. Do not use cfdisk, but gparted will do too (or just use my sfdisk code). For the first script you mainly just create the stick faster, but for the 2nd script which creates the 2nd partition which is rw mounted in live mode it is of course very important to think about that. Every write access would trigger the read/write of 2 not only 1 sector then. When soon as somebody told me the write of 3.5 gb data would need 30 min then i thought something must be going completely wrong...
    I don't know about that Kano. When I was benching aligning on USB thumbdrives over a year ago I did notice that USB thumb speeds were drastically slower when writing to a drive with a USB distro on it then a properly aligned drive. The benches are somewhere in these forums (good luck finding them with the search function however).

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    @deanjo

When you write 1:1 onto usb it does not matter as it is of course aligned. Mainly you can write faster when you use a stick with internal 4k sectors. When your write speed is extremely slow with an usb key you should try to repartition it. Do not use cfdisk, but gparted will do too (or just use my sfdisk code). For the first script you mainly just create the stick faster, but for the 2nd script which creates the 2nd partition which is rw mounted in live mode it is of course very important to think about that. Every write access would trigger the read/write of 2 not only 1 sector then. When soon as somebody told me the write of 3.5 gb data would need 30 min then i thought something must be going completely wrong...

Leave a comment:

• t.s.
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Do any of these "distro off usb" even bother aligning?
    Yes and.... Yes?

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Do any of these "distro off usb" even bother aligning?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X