No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 11.04 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The biggest question for me is when they want to fix the bug i reported over 1 year ago:

Binary package hint: syslinux Since all other major distributions create hybrid mode iso images it is really sad to see that U does not use that feature. It was introduced with syslinux 3.72 which was over 1 year ago and used till then by Fedora, Moblin, Kanotix... As the U syslinux is a SuSE modification i would suggest to use the OpenSuSE patches. OpenSuSE uses hybrid images since 11.2, so only U is lagging behind. Source: http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/src-oss/suse/src/syslinu...

All they need to do is to execute isohybrid on the iso image, then it is hybrid. But no, they only want to use a stupid tool to put the content of the iso image onto an usb key using syslinux from live mode. I have got of course replacement scripts to do that too WITHOUT the need to boot ubuntu, but hybrid mode would be even simpler. Why on earth is it needed to use a 3rd party tool to create a bootable usb key? You can try it youself, install syslinux then do:

isohybrid image.iso

I use most of the times image-writer to put it onto usb but that's just a security issue as it checks the removeable flag not to write it onto internal hd. Basically you can use cp, cat or whatever you want to use to put it onto a not mounted usb key. There should be a phoronix article about that STUPID ubuntu only issue!

Comment

Originally posted by albatorsk View Post
      I was hoping for this to be fixed before release, but it seems not to be. Fear of hanging my machine has driven me to use aterm in the mean time.
      Kubuntu is broken as always... I hoped it will be better with this release, but I was wrong. However, there's hope Mageia will be what KDE users want.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        I've upgraded my Zacate netbook to 11.04 and it seems very solid so far. Unity is awesome! (As a previous AWN+gnome-do user, I feel completely at home with this. Unity replaces both projects perfectly!)
        I second this. Unity looks good and it's comfortable to use. The very good thing is they're doing usability tests.

Power consumption is measurably higher than Win7, unfortunately, but on the whole the system feels much more comfortable than either Win7 or Ubuntu 10.10 (I won't compare to my Arch/KDE installation as that has significant driver issues right now).

Congratulations on a job well done!
        It's opposite on my box. I had to switch back to Arch, because of driver issues in Kubuntu. However, I had first segfault using os drivers in Arch, but it's much better than in Kubuntu. I wonder if somebody will ever fix this mess with the broken drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          Kubuntu is broken as always... I hoped it will be better with this release, but I was wrong. However, there's hope Mageia will be what KDE users want.
          A niche distro with absolutely no major community support and therefore only relatively few packages available? I doubt that. Pardus already covers that.

Mageia should redefine itself to become something to Fedora or openSUSE what Mint is to Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Why on earth is it needed to use a 3rd party tool to create a bootable usb key?

There should be a phoronix article about that STUPID ubuntu only issue!
            Hear hear! Why do I have to download unetbootin every 6 months just so I can try ubuntu? And I always forget about this issue and at first just use dd to create the live-usb, which of course doesn't create a bootable drive and that forces me to create the disk twice. And to add insult to the injury what about this? ->

WTF?? I won't be using any of those... Ubuntu is probably the only distro that doesn't give a crap about linux users using other distros.

Aside from this ridiculous issue I have to say that this is the first version of Ubuntu that has impressed me. I was expecting it to run like crap on my netbook like 10.04 and 10.10 did, but I was wrong. Unity has improved a lot and is now usable, and the top panel/menu thingy does wonders on a small screen. The only problem so far is that firefox doesn't start when I click on its icon. I have to open a terminal and type "firefox" and then it starts very quickly. I'm typing this from the live system so it may be related to that. Gwibber still sucks, although it now performs a lot better. And last but not least Evolution is still unusable on small screens, but that's gnome's fault and they'll probably never do anything about it.

Comment

Maybe add a comment to my bug report... Also you can try isohybrid (from syslinux) onto the iso.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                The biggest question for me is when they want to fix the bug i reported over 1 year ago:

Binary package hint: syslinux Since all other major distributions create hybrid mode iso images it is really sad to see that U does not use that feature. It was introduced with syslinux 3.72 which was over 1 year ago and used till then by Fedora, Moblin, Kanotix... As the U syslinux is a SuSE modification i would suggest to use the OpenSuSE patches. OpenSuSE uses hybrid images since 11.2, so only U is lagging behind. Source: http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/src-oss/suse/src/syslinu...
                for isohybrid problem, i find debian usb-hdd the best. With that; I can dd it to my ufd and then use the rest of free space (gparted-ing). It make a good rescue disc plus can use to store data, if you happen to have to use that for saving data/document. Unfortunately, debian's not uptodate. and the default setting's quite.. err.. ugly.

Comment

You can be sure i have got my own scripts to partition a stick and put an iso on it (with or without persistence). I even wrote a script to convert the grub menu.lst from backtrack 4 to syslinux.cfg. But that has nothing to do with hybrid iso images.

Comment

When does Ubuntu fix bugs? Their priority is making things look pretty and changes that are totally different or unique to other distros. Also, trying to move away from Debian, too?

How come there is NO good applications for saving a live distro to a usb stick?

UNetbootin? No, it sucks. All the good ones are Windows-only, admit it. No one works on these applications or improves the current ones. I think the concept of booting up a live distro on a usb stick is great. A much nicer, more accurate experience than CD or DVD but the current status on using usb stick is so primitive.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                      It's opposite on my box. I had to switch back to Arch, because of driver issues in Kubuntu. However, I had first segfault using os drivers in Arch, but it's much better than in Kubuntu. I wonder if somebody will ever fix this mess with the broken drivers.
                      To clarify, neither Arch nor KDE is the issue here. As Phoronix reported, Zacate support in 2.6.38 is still flaky and it appears to affect KDE more than Unity. Things should get better in 2.6.39.

UNetbootin? No, it sucks. All the good ones are Windows-only, admit it. No one works on these applications or improves the current ones. I think the concept of booting up a live distro on a usb stick is great. A much nicer, more accurate experience than CD or DVD but the current status on using usb stick is so primitive.
                      I agree that USB sticks are the way to go, but what is it that you don't like in UNetbootin? I've been using it for years and it does everything I need it to (give it a CD iso, make a bootable USB stick out of it). Ubuntu also offers a USB utility that works fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X