X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well most important is the output of

fdisk -ul

Comment

I downloaded this out of curiosity. Oh my god, Unity sucks major! Not the looks of it (it's a Mac OS X rip-off, so it looks good). It's that you need freaking ages to find what you need. Even something as simple as finding where the damn mouse settings are is a search of epic proportions.

Canonical shooting themselves in the foot here.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        I downloaded this out of curiosity. Oh my god, Unity sucks major! Not the looks of it (it's a Mac OS X rip-off, so it looks good). It's that you need freaking ages to find what you need. Even something as simple as finding where the damn mouse settings are is a search of epic proportions.

Canonical shooting themselves in the foot here.
        Agree.
        it's tidy, it's beautiful, yes.. But not practical.. It's kind of like... Android.. for power-user/hardcore gnomer, it's not really a problem cause you can run the program u want within terminal, or 'run' --alt+f2-- application.

And yes, it looks like MacOSX, more and more.

Comment

Oh, and me thinking they're targeting tablet form. Like I said before, IMHO, its good, beautiful, and tidy, but the rest is like realNC said. People will be bored/annoyed fast.

Comment

It's that you need freaking ages to find what you need. Even something as simple as finding where the damn mouse settings are is a search of epic proportions.
            What?? Are you serious? That's simply too ridiculous not to reply...

Have you discovered computers just yesterday? No wait... maybe you have been using CP/M for the last 30 years and don't even know what a mouse is. Here are the steps for finding the mouse settings in ubuntu:

1. press the windows key (or click the ubuntu logo in the top left):
            2. type "settings"
            3. behold as both the "system settings" and "mouse settings" appear before your eyes

or

1. click the top right button (power button?) on the panel
            2. click on "system settings"
            3. type "mouse"

Note: Up until 11.04 I really disliked ubuntu and have been using KDE for over a year and a half now, and still I was able to find it quite easily. In fact finding stuff is way easier on this new interface than any other desktop environment I tried.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
              What?? Are you serious? That's simply too ridiculous not to reply...

Have you discovered computers just yesterday? No wait... maybe you have been using CP/M for the last 30 years and don't even know what a mouse is. Here are the steps for finding the mouse settings in ubuntu:

1. press the windows key (or click the ubuntu logo in the top left):
              2. type "settings"
              Type? TYPE? Are you serious? I don't want to type. I want to click. With a mouse. On a menu, that neatly lists all available ways to go from there, like Gnome and KDE, and OS X, and Windows has been doing for ages and everyone knows about.

Are we going back to typing? I might just as well open a terminal. The freaking desktop looks like a freaking android phone that tries to look like a freaking MacBook....

Comment

Type? TYPE? Are you serious? I don't want to type. I want to click. With a mouse. On a menu, that neatly lists all available ways to go from there, like Gnome and KDE, and OS X, and Windows has been doing for ages and everyone knows about.

Are we going back to typing? I might just as well open a terminal. The freaking desktop looks like a freaking android phone that tries to look like a freaking MacBook....
                Exactly. I haven't tried Unity yet. Maybe I don't want to.

Ubuntu/Canonical keeps getting more strange and diverting more from Debian.

If someone wants to type and use Terminal, there are basic DEs for that, right? Fluxbox?

Comment

Type? TYPE? Are you serious? I don't want to type. I want to click. With a mouse.
                  Then just use the second option I mentioned and instead of typing "mouse" on the last step just scroll down until you see "mouse", OR click the ubuntu logo on the top left, on the installed applications section click on "see more applications" and then scroll down until you see "mouse". Yeah... it really is that hard.

Comment

Click the Ubuntu icon. Select 'System' or 'Themes & Tweaks' with your mouse. Click the application you need.

There, that wasn't all that different than Gnome or KDE was it? In fact, the whole thing looks just like KDE's control panel on steroids.

Originally posted by Panix
                    Exactly. I haven't tried Unity yet. Maybe I don't want to.

Ubuntu/Canonical keeps getting more strange and diverting more from Debian.

If someone wants to type and use Terminal, there are basic DEs for that, right? Fluxbox?
                    You might wish to try before forming an opinion. Just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                      There, that wasn't all that different than Gnome or KDE was it? In fact, the whole thing looks just like KDE's control panel on steroids.

You might wish to try before forming an opinion. Just saying.
                      Some people show more resistance to change and everything new and different than others, so aren't even willing to give it a fair unbiased chance. I would be the first to stay away from Ubuntu 11.04 if Unity didn't work, because I tried it back when 10.04 came out and it was the most horrible experience I had with a desktop environment. The fact that they finaly merged all the settings into a single place is a great move. I also prefer to type when searching for something instead of wasting precious seconds clicking through menus, but that isn't for everybody apparently.

Comment

Working...
                      X