Seems like old Ubuntu repositories are gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not as simple as that.

I just tried Ubuntu this week, because my old hd died, so I had to restore data from backups anyway, and they were handing out free Ubuntu disks at school.

Unfortunately, the disks turned out to be Breezy.

Now, I don't mind upgrading, but according to here, you need the breezy repositories to do so.

I don't mind the lack of updates, but taking down the repositories makes upgrading unnecessarily difficult.

Breezy doesn't seem to recognize my cd-burner, so that's not an option.

Any ideas on how to get upgrade done?

Comment

Originally posted by damion4242 View Post
      It's not as simple as that.

I just tried Ubuntu this week, because my old hd died, so I had to restore data from backups anyway, and they were handing out free Ubuntu disks at school.

Unfortunately, the disks turned out to be Breezy.

Now, I don't mind upgrading, but according to here, you need the breezy repositories to do so.

I don't mind the lack of updates, but taking down the repositories makes upgrading unnecessarily difficult.

Breezy doesn't seem to recognize my cd-burner, so that's not an option.

Any ideas on how to get upgrade done?
      you can boof off livecd (like knoppix) and debootstrap ubuntu. you can do so from another ubuntu install if you have a spare partition.

or download a mini netinstall disk.

you could also try to replace sources.list entries with new ones and just apt-get update and install update-manager

speaking of which, doesn't launching
      sudo update-manager -c
      offer you upgrade to new release?
      Last edited by yoshi314; 13 July 2007, 03:57 AM.

Comment

http://releases.ubuntu.com says:
        For old releases, see old-releases.ubuntu.com
        So just change the lines e.g. "archive.ubuntu.com ..." to "old-releases.ubuntu.com ..." in your /etc/apt/sources.list or using the GUI in Synaptic/Adept.

Here's were I found the solution and some backgrounds:
        Hey guys. I know it's had support dropped, but I still have a computer running hoary. Yesterday I tried to run apt-get update and got 404 errors. I thought the end of support meant they just wouldn't release new updates. Does it also mean that the repository for hoary is gone, too? Or is this just a tempoary problem?

So happy upgrading! :-) (I also need the old repositories sometimes)

EDIT:
        In your /etc/apt/sources.list the syntax for the old-releases repository is a little different. I guess it must be "old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/ ..." So if adding this repository won't work url syntax is maybe a little different. Couldn't test it because at the moment there are only Windows PCs around me. *help* ;-)
        Last edited by ChrisNiemy; 16 July 2007, 08:43 AM. Reason: url syntax is different

Comment

This is the one.

Comment

Working...
          X