Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Expels One Of Its Developers

Phoronix: Ubuntu Expels One Of Its Developers

Besides the MPlayer fighting that's now going on, the battles within the Ubuntu community isn't limited to GNOME vs. Unity on the desktop, but in fact the Ubuntu Developer Membership board and Community Council have jointly decided to expel one of the Ubuntu developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow! Maybe he called one of the admis d*ckhead Anyway I'm curious what did he say to get expelled.

Comment

Divide et Impera

Divide and Rule (not "the empire of DVDs ").

Is it an old new strategy to fight free/open software?
      The more the community is divided, the easiest to kill it is - How can you realize an important, high-performance, worldclass-production-quality project if the developers fight each other?

I understand the need for cutting off troublesome individuals or law-risk parts of code -although It would be much better to cut off the troublemaking law ("patents..." echoes), but forking for forking sake is no good to me.

Comment

Done by: "Ubuntu Developer Membership Board, Ubuntu Community Council". His response: "Thanks for every person who helped me in development for Ubuntu project. Work with you was a pleasure."

Seems to have been handled respectfully enough by the community and the dev.

Comment

The Ubuntu Community is filled with terrible contributors

They could stand to lose a couple more community members. Many of their forum and IRC moderates are completely unprofessional. I've too many instances of disrespectful administrators that purposefully try to instigate bans instead of acting with a basic degree of common sense. Mark Shuttleworth needs to keep an eye on the behavior and professionalism of his contributors if he hopes to increase Ubuntu adoption.

Comment

damn secret trials! i think that even Mark is finding about this now

is like ubuntu had an area51, that even the president doesnt know of...

Comment

Not surprising, the Ubuntu community is painfully politically correct. It's downright austere and humourless.

Also +1 the person who said some forum mods/admins are unprofessional. They'll turn away good technical support if you're 'rude', even if you're only responding appropriately to some entitled little jackarse who demands support and goes off their nut when their problems aren't solved immediately. Likewise, be too argumentative and a pack of mods will follow you around, giving you infractions over the most ridiculous, petty, minor things, as a form of intimidation. One look in the, "Resolution Centre", board will tell you everything you need to know about UF's management.

Comment

attitude

Check it at the door along with your personal problems.

grep -r "fuc" /usr/src/linux/*

I haven't bothered to in a while. But at one time it was honestly vulgar.

Comment

I'm guessing this is a problem on all spectrum's though. All software development suffers these kinds of problems, let alone all types of jobs. I could imagine it really hits hard when someone with great skills also has a character to go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by etnlWings View Post
                    Not surprising, the Ubuntu community is painfully politically correct. It's downright austere and humourless.

Also +1 the person who said some forum mods/admins are unprofessional. They'll turn away good technical support if you're 'rude', even if you're only responding appropriately to some entitled little jackarse who demands support and goes off their nut when their problems aren't solved immediately. Likewise, be too argumentative and a pack of mods will follow you around, giving you infractions over the most ridiculous, petty, minor things, as a form of intimidation. One look in the, "Resolution Centre", board will tell you everything you need to know about UF's management.
                    So, there is validity to this complaint. I think people need to switch from their Crapbuntu machines to Debian.

Ubuntu is moving away from Debian from what I heard and they don't commit much upstream (this is still a complaint) and they support censorship and rude behavior from those in charge of support and their forums. They are getting to be too much like MS so why do people still use Ubuntu when Debian is available? If you want more GUI or convenience in Debian, maybe switch to it so the community can be larger and people can share shortcuts, features and such?

Comment

Working...
                    X