Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 16 Might Be A Beefy Miracle

Phoronix: Fedora 16 Might Be A Beefy Miracle

Ubuntu 11.10 is codenamed the Oneiric Ocelot, which is perhaps the most unique Ubuntu codename to date, but going up against Mark Shuttleworth's next distribution update will be Fedors 16. What's the codename for that next Red Hat release? It might be called a Beefy Miracle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Fedora codenames continue to go down an odd path with the reliance upon its contributors for the names and voting. "

Kind of a truism in the sense that anyone who suggests a name can be considered a contributor however anyone and not just Fedora contributors are permitted to suggest names. We open the wiki page and everyone can edit it and suggest any name they want.

I am not sure why Phoronix considers it odd but its a fun thing for some people and sometimes we get new contributors to Fedora this way as well. So I would merely consider it as yet another opportunity to participate in Fedora and free software without having to be a programmer or anything like that.

Comment

Fedora is doing pretty hot right now, at least in my book. I hope they keep up the good work.

Fedora 15 Alpha, after doing the upgrade to the latest version of packages for it... has Gallium working out of the box on my ATI card. It's actually a pretty nice improvement over Ubuntu in terms of performance for me.

Comment

sad that people who come up with names like that share only their code and not their drugs

it would make the world a better place

(j/k)

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
          So I would merely consider it as yet another opportunity to participate in Fedora and free software without having to be a programmer or anything like that.
          I agree that it's a great way to get people involved, but I have to say this:

Llullaillaco???? Holy crap!! I hope that doesn't win as it's probably hard to pronouce even in it's native tongue, Klingon.

Comment

does anybody care about fedora's release names? i don't even remember them, mostly.

fedora is nice in integrating new technologies, but it's a pain to upgrade from one release to another, due to major technology shifts each time.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
              Fedora is doing pretty hot right now, at least in my book. I hope they keep up the good work.

Fedora 15 Alpha, after doing the upgrade to the latest version of packages for it... has Gallium working out of the box on my ATI card. It's actually a pretty nice improvement over Ubuntu in terms of performance for me.
              I agree that Fedora is great, but Ubuntu is also using Gallium for AMD cards out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post

I tried the LiveCD yesterday and instantly installed it on my laptop and desktop.

I. Am. Pleased!

Fast bootup. Faster and better graphics. Everythign else is faster too. Realy fast. Blur effect in KDE 4.6.0?! And solid as can be!

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  I agree that Fedora is great, but Ubuntu is also using Gallium for AMD cards out of the box.
                  I should know because I've been using Gallium on Ubuntu before using it on Fedora. But as far as I can tell the Fedora setup for rawhide/15 is better then what I get with Ubuntu Beta. Even with the drm-next PPA

Comment

You want to see a Beefy Miracle? I'll show you a beefy miracle. HEYOOOO!

Sorry, it had to be done. Anyway, goofy names aside I've been running Fedora since F11 and it's been a really pleasant experience. Hopefully F15 keeps the streak of goodness going, and F16 after it, whatever it winds up being called.

Comment

Working...
                    X