• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fhuberts
    replied
    include AMD CPUs!

Nice to see that x64 proves its worth.

However, why isn't a recent AMD cpu included?
    AMD and Intel chips have different strengths and articles such as these should show fair comparisons.

Also, the tests where the i7 is slower in x64 than in x32 actually show some of the weaknesses of the Intel architecture.

Leave a comment:

• doogless
    replied
    Any chance you could redo those graphs with colors that are easier to tell apart?

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Nice article Michael. Hopefully it is enough to open some of the old die hards eyes.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Ubuntu 11.04: i686 vs. i686 PAE vs. x86_64

Ubuntu 11.04: i686 vs. i686 PAE vs. x86_64

Phoronix: Ubuntu 11.04: i686 vs. i686 PAE vs. x86_64

At the end of 2009 I published benchmarks comparing Ubuntu's 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, and 64-bit Linux kernels. Those tests were carried out to show the performance impact of using 32-bit with PAE (Physical Address Extension) support, which on the plus side allows up to 64GB of system memory to be addressable from 32-bit machines, but is still significantly slower than a 64-bit kernel and user-space. In this article the tests have been carried out on modern hardware and with the latest Ubuntu 11.04 packages to see how the three kernel variants are performing in 2011.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X