X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by yotambien View Post
    That claim is ridiculous, of course. But just to be absolutely clear, the second part of my comment refers to the very notion of IQ testing--which I imagine mensa people are quite fond of.
    Are you saying an aptitude test can't possibly measure intelligence level? How dare you!

Leave a comment:

• yogi_berra
    replied
    Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    Oracle mostly aggressively sells software(using opencore model), where RH sells the service(and derived upgrades) that are open source after development.
    And see what happens when you actually have something worth selling? You make money. Red Hat sells the privilege of running su -c 'yum update' against their servers and not having to deal with how bad their software actually is.

Leave a comment:

• yotambien
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Originally posted by yotambien
    Lately there's been quite a lot of nonsense posts with rubbish claims like this. You people love to talk about IQ scores and imply your belonging to some intellectual elite because you use a particular operative system. Nevermind how absolutely ridiculous this idea is or how idiotic the whole concept of IQ measurements turns out to be.
    Ya I just about fell out of my chair laughing at that claim considering every mensa event I attend Windows pc's dominate the room.
    That claim is ridiculous, of course. But just to be absolutely clear, the second part of my comment refers to the very notion of IQ testing--which I imagine mensa people are quite fond of.

Leave a comment:

• locovaca
    replied
    Originally posted by devius View Post
    Also, Facebook is based on FOSS (yes, this time it includes the F) with a lot of it developed in house and freely redistributed and they also don't seem to be all that bad when it comes to money income.
    There is nothing Free about Facebook. Just because it does not demand a monetary repayment for services rendered doesn't mean it isn't obtaining repayment via other means.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by yotambien View Post
    Lately there's been quite a lot of nonsense posts with rubbish claims like this. You people love to talk about IQ scores and imply your belonging to some intellectual elite because you use a particular operative system. Nevermind how absolutely ridiculous this idea is or how idiotic the whole concept of IQ measurements turns out to be.
    Ya I just about fell out of my chair laughing at that claim considering every mensa event I attend Windows pc's dominate the room.

Leave a comment:

• mirv
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Yup sure it is being hindered, by no one else more then it's own developers by choice.
    I agree here. I personally think that most developers are not targetting wide spread home user use, but more technically minded folk. I don't see anything wrong with that either; it makes things easier for those folk.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    Being informed and labeled "zealot" is WAY better than being a redneck, that label you.
    You realize the the origin of 'redneck' is from being a 'poor southern white farmer' right? Well I do own a farm, I am white, but not even close to poor or live in the south. Any ways their red neck came from doing hard work in the fields being in the sun all day.

I have already provided glues why linux(or any other open system) is not dominating. It is actively being hindered.
    Yup sure it is being hindered, by no one else more then it's own developers by choice.

Leave a comment:

• yotambien
    replied
    Originally posted by crazycheese
    No one with minor IQ would ever run proprietary if [...]

Leave a comment:

• mirv
    replied
    RMS was making money while developing emacs. It was free, open source, and yet he was making money. Not the stupidly massive profits closed source companies can rake in, but money none the less.
    Now proprietary software can make more money, sure, but it comes with a lot of baggage - like being dependent upon the company making it. I've missed out on opportunities simply company B doesn't want to rely on company A (which I work for) - B wanted what A could provide, but wanted code in the end too. The reason that B didn't develop in house? Developer experience. They didn't have it, and it was cheaper and faster to simply hire someone who already knew about everything they wanted.
    As for proprietary providing software that open source doesn't, that's also goes the other way. Many companies use eclipse-based IDEs because there's nothing else appropriately available. GCC-based compilers are also quite wide spread in the embedded world. GNU/Linux itself runs on routers, networking gear, might even find its way into cars, and I have seen it running entertainment systems in aeroplanes.
    Proprietary software has its place. Open source software has its place. There's also a lot of overlap between the two. Best tools for the job and all.

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    Oracle reported $8.8 billion for their third quarter. Just the third quarter. Red Hat isn't as big a company as they want you to believe.
    Oracle mostly aggressively sells software(using opencore model), where RH sells the service(and derived upgrades) that are open source after development.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X