No announcement yet.

openSUSE 11.4 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really wanted to give PulseAudio a chance, but I ended up disabling it (which is very easily done in Yast, thanks god).
    I struggled for half an hour to get my notebook to play any sound at all. Then I wasn't able to get it to record anything. And it wouldn't work with the mute-indicator on my notebook because it'd only mute the PulseAudio-Server and not the hardware itself.
    Well apart from PulseAudio this is a pretty nice release. Didn't notice much of a change since I was running KDE 4.6 on 11.3 before already anyway, but I guess that's a good thing. :>
    Now I'm looking forward to Tumbleweed. A user-friendly rolling-release distribution certainly has a lot of potential. Certainly would set OpenSuse apart from the user-friendly not rolling distributions ((K)Ubuntu) and the not-so-user-friendly rolling distributions (Arch, Gentoo).

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
      The 2.6.37 kernel on openSUSE 11.4 also has the miraculous 200 line patch that improves the system's responsivness.
      I don't see any performance difference. The artwork during the boot sequence is different but that's about it.

Comment

The 2.6.37 kernel on openSUSE 11.4 also has the miraculous 200 line patch that improves the system's responsivness.
        Uh... Was it backported? Thought it would officially hit 2.6.38

@Awesomeness
        My understanding is that the patch smoothes out things that are CPU bound, so I/O bottlenecks aren't touched, one might even say they become all the more appearent.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
          Uh... Was it backported? Thought it would officially hit 2.6.38

Yeah, openSUSE sometimes backports important patches like that.

@awesomeness You can read all about the effects of the patch right here on phoronix, but I can tell you right away that it won't improve performance per se, just the responsiveness of the desktop under heavy load.

Comment

https://features.opensuse.org/310920
            Yeah, openSUSE sometimes backports important patches like that.
            Yup, their KDE 4.6.0 for example is essentially 4.6.1. They backported all the patches from 4.6.1 AFIK.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
              My understanding is that the patch smoothes out things that are CPU bound, so I/O bottlenecks aren't touched, one might even say they become all the more appearent.
              You can basically think of it as automatically lowering the priority of tasks running in the console, which leaves more priority left over for other tasks - such as your desktop environment and X. It's really quite limited in terms of what it affects, but if you are being hurt by this it can make for a big improvement.

Comment

Some release day numbers

openSUSE's newsletter revealed some download numbers for release day.

Shameless quoted details:

The numbers
                But the above is all talk (and party). What counts are the numbers ? and they are big. To
                just talk about the number of downloads via software.opensuse.org we?ve almost doubled the numbers of downloads in the first 24
                hours compared to our previous 11.3
                release
                ! Well over 90.000 downloads from our website with another 12 thousand via
                Bittorrent in one day is quite impressive.
                Not perfectly accurate, but?
                Since each mirror site uses different ways of measuring, we cannot give an 100% reliable
                number of total downloads of openSUSE 11.4 but we can point out some numbers and give examples
                from our more than 80 mirrors. The Hungary mirror at Integrity.hu reported 220 GB distributed using http and
                additionally 400 GB via torrents. The American mirror at temple.edu had 460 GB on Thursday. The Swiss
                switch.ch
                distributed 1329 GB of data and the German
                mirrors from rwth-aachen
                distributed at peak time 5 gbit/sec and additionally 60
                MB/sec of torrent data.
                SUSE Studio offers another great way of
                getting a openSUSE 11.4 image ? and well over 1000 people have already used this.
                download.opensuse.org
                A total of 90844 requests for ISOs were reached via our download redirector at
                download.opensuse.org during the first 24 hours, a nice bump compared to 49599 for openSUSE
                11.3! Note that we can not count who accessed a mirror directly instead of using the
                redirector on download.opensuse.org, so
                there are more downloads than that. Moreover, we have been emphasizing the possibility of
                upgrading openSUSE 11.3 over the web
                instead of by downloading an ISO and these are not tracked either.
                However, you?ll be able to find openSUSE 11.4 statistics soon on the Statistics page. There we track how many
                unique IP addresses regularly update from our servers ? a reasonably reliable way of knowing
                how many users we have. Of course those on a NAT or internal deployments as well as those who
                don?t upgrade via our servers are not counted and those with a dynamic IP might be counted a
                few times so take the numbers with a grain of salt as well.
                Distribution and torrents
                These are the number of downloads split over the different media:
                • NonOss Addon CD BiArch: 3926
                • 32-bit x86: 49845 (total)
                  • Net 2863
                  • DVD 28437
                  • GNOME-LiveCD 6127
                  • KDE-LiveCD 6997
                  • Addon-Lang 5421

• 64-bit x86-64: 37073 (total)
                  • Net 2102
                  • DVD 23746
                  • GNOME-LiveCD 2837
                  • KDE-LiveCD 5732
                  • Addon-Lang 2656

Our main distribution download page
                usually gets 17000 visits a day, on the launch day we had 63000.
                Torrents worked really well for this release thanks to the many seeders, several folks
                reported that they could download torrents with the full capacity of their connection. The
                largest number of seeders was for the x86-64 DVD with 1076 followed by 959 for the i586 DVD.
                The tracker counted 12596 complete downloads via bittorrent during the first 24 hours,
                awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Yup, their KDE 4.6.0 for example is essentially 4.6.1. They backported all the patches from 4.6.1 AFIK.
                  Indeed that seems to be the case. the infamous virtuoso-t process now indexes my files using 1% of one core, which is something that is only found in 4.6.1. Initially that process used up 100% of one core, but as someone said on the "kde sc 4.6.1 released" thread, that was just the conversion process to the new database format.

Comment

Does anyone try 11.4 in a virtual environment? I might be interested in trying OpenSUSE 11.4 in Virtualbox. How much space would one need?

Alternatively, I have one spare partition but not sure what I'm doing with it, yet.

I am not familiar with OpenSUSE so I'd rather mess around with it first. My experience is with Debian based.

Comment

Works fine in a vm however it of course won't give an accurate indicator for performance. I would recommend first trying one of the "live" iso's instead of a vm if you want to take it for a testdrive.

Comment

Working...
                      X