Debian 6.0 Was Just Released!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devius View Post
    @schmidtbag Synaptic? In arch you won't be needing synaptic. If you want to backup configuration files that are not in home, can't you just backup the whole /etc directory? It's still a PITA though, but well worth the effort...
    lol o ya i forgot about that, how dumb of me. whats the alternative anyway? i really like synaptic - it makes searching for packages really easy.

@not.sure
    i wasn't aware sid was going to get 4.6, but i'm still tired of having to wait an entire year before getting something recent, and so i'm probably going to have to wait a full year when 4.7 or 4.8 comes out.
    the problem with xorg is it uninstalled itself due to a broken package issue. it simply refuses to install because it wants to uninstall these other things, which will uninstall other dependencies of xorg so its just a loop of an issue. i'm tired of debian doing stuff like this, so i'm preparing to switch to arch right now. i'll try updating apt-get one more time and see if i can reinstall xorg when arch is done downloading and when i'm done copying everything.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: Debian 6.0 Was Just Released!

Here's a pleasant Saturday evening surprise: Debian 6.0 was just released! After being in development for more than two years, the Debian developers have found it's now time to release the Debian 6.0 "Squeeze" operating system. Not only is it Debian 6.0 GNU/Linux to play with, but as previously reported, Debian 6.0 GNU/kFreeBSD is official too...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTA4Mg
      Excellent news!

That also explains why an "aptitude update" followed by "aptitude full-upgrade" the Debian "unstable" (or "Sid") would have given me an unusable system. It means they have already started to rip out the old for the next version.

Comment

Congrats, Debian!

I think it's rather amazing that such a loosely-knit team of people from all over the globe ? developers, packagers, translators and admins ?*can come up and keep up with such a massive project without being based around a company or clear business strategy, purely on a basis of ideology and technological interest.

For those that want to run Debian on desktop systems, I advise to run "unstable", sort of the rolling release of Debian. While it would be nice if "stable" were updated a bit more often, having to administer a lot of servers at work ?*each with vastly different software and configurations running on it ? I do appreciate I don't have to solve upgrade problems every couple of months.

Comment

I realized that Squeeze was out when a simple "apt-get upgrade" wanted to update 180+ packages. (I'm using testing so there was quite a few packages from unstable waiting for the release to happen.)

Btw, I stopped using dselect/aptitude etc a few years back. They were way to happy to remove some "useless" package which would cause xorg, gnome, or libc to be uninstalled as well.

'apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade' can be used daily without fear of accidently removing 30% of your installed apps. Packages will only be upgrade when it can be done without breaking the dependencies of the other installed packages.

A couple of times per week/month I use 'apt-get -s dist-upgrade' to see which upgrades are possible and what packages that would remove/add. ( -s for '--simulate' ie it only prints what it should do without actually installing/removing anything)

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            i saw aptosid but it doesn't have any new packages. they're still all out of date. it added a few more packages that i didn't have before but its still "sid" based.
            Aptosid is still sid. Lately very very few packages were uploaded to Sid due to the deepo freeze. Now with the archives unfrozen again, we shall see packages be moving again into Sid. With all the transitions that are upcoming, such as updating KDE to 4.6 or so there will be breakages.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
              Aptosid is still sid. Lately very very few packages were uploaded to Sid due to the deepo freeze. Now with the archives unfrozen again, we shall see packages be moving again into Sid. With all the transitions that are upcoming, such as updating KDE to 4.6 or so there will be breakages.
              well, its too late now. i'm already installing arch as i'm typing this. honestly i think i'm going to get a more reliable experience using the newer packages arch supplies than the old packages i get with debian.

i'm still going to use debian on my netbook (what i'm using now) and i'm probably going to use fedora or maybe centos on this server i plan to build. i wish switching to arch was an easier transition than it currently is but oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                With all the transitions that are upcoming, such as updating KDE to 4.6 or so there will be breakages.
                It's gonna be fun!

Comment

so anyone know what the next release is called? i'd like to get the repo of that whenever its available - i'm sick of being 2+ versions behind everything. i don't care too much about cutting edge but i don't like being outdated either.

on the other hand, does anyone know of a debian based distro with more up-to-date packages, other than ubuntu? preferably a rolling release?

Aptosid. I use that one for work, and Arch for play

Comment

well, i've thought about booting from a live cd too but i also want to actually boot up into my graphical interface because i need to remember which packages i have installed.

what makes me the most uncomfortable about switching to arch is reconfiguring everything that ISN'T in my home folder such as samba, synaptic, and some of kde. copying the files isn't really the problem, its finding all of them and remembering what else i'm missing.
                    type this on your CLI for listing your installed package:
                    Code:
                    dpkg-query -W --showformat='${Installed-Size} ${Package}\n' | sort -nr | less > packages.txt
                    Oh, One thing if you want to switch to Arch: If you're still *cough* inexperienced on linux, try carefully to convert to Arch. I've 'trapped' by Arch beginner guide. Like, they said on the wiki that:
                    he /home filesystem is typically where user data, downloads, and multimedia reside. On a desktop system, /home is typically the largest filesystem on the drive by a large margin. Remember that if you chose to reinstall Arch, all the data on your /home partition will be untouched (so long as you have a separate /home partition).
                    Well, carefully approach that one. I've LOST my data on my home partition because of that!!

Hope they fix it soon.

Comment

well, its too late now. i'm already installing arch as i'm typing this. honestly i think i'm going to get a more reliable experience using the newer packages arch supplies than the old packages i get with debian.

i'm still going to use debian on my netbook (what i'm using now) and i'm probably going to use fedora or maybe centos on this server i plan to build. i wish switching to arch was an easier transition than it currently is but oh well.
                      Hope you're doing fine with your installation .

Comment

Working...
                      X