Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE 11.4 M6 Kills HAL, Brings WebYaST, Avoids SystemD

Phoronix: openSUSE 11.4 M6 Kills HAL, Brings WebYaST, Avoids SystemD

The openSUSE community is celebrating the end of January by releasing openSUSE 11.4 Milestone 6. This new development snapshot brings several prominent changes, including the final removal of HAL (the Hardware Abstraction Layer), the migration to systemd from SysVInit has been pushed back to the next openSUSE release, and it now incorporates support for Novell's WebYaST...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Was hoping for systemd but good support is more important to me.
    oS 11.4 looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Was hoping for systemd but good support is more important to me.
      oS 11.4 looks great.
      The openSUSE community took a stand a while back about adopting technologies to soon after seeing what the results were doing to end user experience. The community on more then one occasion decided that after a really bad attempt of rushing into a distro release (11.1) that people in its community would prefer stability over "shiny blinking lights that may short out".

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Avoids SystemD
        You mean avoids SysVInit?

Comment

excuse me, but what about plymouth?

Comment

Originally posted by ArchLinux View Post
            You mean avoids SysVInit?
            No, SysVinit is still default, SystemD is in the main repo though.

Comment

Actualy openSUSE 11.4 already ships with firefox 4 beta, and it has done so for at least 2 months now.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                The openSUSE community took a stand a while back about adopting technologies to soon after seeing what the results were doing to end user experience. The community on more then one occasion decided that after a really bad attempt of rushing into a distro release (11.1) that people in its community would prefer stability over "shiny blinking lights that may short out".
                What was wrong with 11.1? I can't remember any bad experiences.

Comment

The only one still needing HAL was KDE/Solid.
                  Systemd - http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd.html

Comment

Working...
                  X