This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RedHat 5.2 in 1998.

But, our governmental institution ran its e-mail production server on Linux in 1994, which was early.

Comment

2003-2004 Slack 9
      The second distro (2004) was ZIP Slack 10, and it was installed on DOS formatted drive with loadlin, working as a network router.

I'm still not using Linux very much, because wine is not an option in gaming.

Comment

It was redhat 9, 2004. In our school library there was a redhat 7.2, which when I installed, I thought it was the first graphical linux out there (since every graphic was seemingly old and simple).

With the new Fedora Core 1, I thought linux was reborn! and Now I use the Fedora 8...
        Ubuntu didn't work fine 4 me, and I have not tested other distro's.

Comment

FC3 for me

Comment

Originally posted by klaus View Post
            It was redhat 9, 2004. In our school library there was a redhat 7.2, which when I installed, I thought it was the first graphical linux out there (since every graphic was seemingly old and simple).

With the new Fedora Core 1, I thought linux was reborn! and Now I use the Fedora 8...
            Ubuntu didn't work fine 4 me, and I have not tested other distro's.
            Actually, the first "graphical" Linux was waay old- Yggdrasil Plug and Play was the "first" where you had X11 and a graphical desktop out of the box. It was rather primitive by modern day standards, but it really can be considered to be the "first", back before Red Hat and before Slackware.

Comment

I am really interested in the matter, I mean the first graphical linux distributaions. I really want to see screenshots of it, all yggdrasil, slackware and the redhat. If anyone has their screenshots I'd love to see them! and I think so many others!

Just imagine how they were, and how they've become with all of the eye-candies; compiz, beryl...

Comment

RedHat 5.X, but I never used it. But then i got RedHat 9, used it, no drivers for my graphics card, so I dumped linux for a while. Then I got OpenSuSE 10.1, 10.2, and now I'm on Fedora-boxes. If someone can help me, please PM me! I can't install OpenSuSE 10.2/3 on my box with an Abit AW9D-MAX because it say I run raid even if I don't :S

Comment

My first Linux distro was SUSE 6.2. It came with a magazine, and the X11 part didn't worked. Actually I tried to install Corel Linux 1.0 before it, but there was problems with the installation. I was eager to try out Linux, and after I bought a new computer I tried to install it from CDs, but the hardware was new the distributions were old, and I didn't have internet connection...

Then I used Debian Woody, first some prerelease from another magazine, then the final version. Then I tired of waiting for the next version and switched to Gentoo I only had modem connection at home at the time, so I had to bring home the source files in a flash drive from the University. Still using Gentoo, not the same installation, because I had to reinstall when I switched to amd64...

Comment

Mandrake 6. But, it didn't stick and I didn't really start using Linux as a main O/S until Xandros 2.5 Pro. Now I'm on Ubuntu full time.

Comment

1st: 1999 Slackware (via shell ftp) - Intro to Linux
                      2nd: 2007 Kubuntu 7.10 - Nope
                      3rd: 2007 Sidux - Almost...
                      4th: 2007 Linux Mint Daryna - Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                      X