This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mandrake,

in a dual boot with...i must confess...windows 2000 !!!!

but, the last will be....ARCHBANG !!!!!

Comment

• If i remember correctly i think was Ubuntu.

Comment

• The first one i tried to install was slackware but it was never put to any real use, after that i ordered Red Hat which i believe was version 6.

Back then Linux was not the desktop that i could use, most of the stuff i did was on Windows and the lack of internet made it even harder so i ended up as a windows user.

Over the years i have been testing different distributions, mostly each (~)ubuntu release, before i ended up with Gentoo about 3 years ago which i'm still using as my only OS.

Comment

• Linux Mint 7. I then tried OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Fedora, before landing on the KDE variant of Fedora. I haven't used anything else since.

Comment

• Oh this is a nice one. The old Red Hat 5.0 before there even was a rhel.

Comment

• Ooh, hard to remember; I jumped around a lot in the start. Probably Red hat ... 6.1 or something. I definitely tried Corel linux slightly later, and remember it as quite nice for the time. I believe the first OS I used as a windows alternative was BeOS, though - and I know I jumped ship from Linux to FreeBSD not that much later. I spent august 02 to august 03 in an army office, installing FreeBSD on a spare office PC and playing with it in my copious spare time; that was when I first got really familiar with administering and using it (and indeed anything *nix-like).

Comment

• I just got my brand new 160 GB HDD and was excited of it's massive capacity. I then ended up picking Mandrake with it's KDE desktop. I didn't like it very much because being mentally tied to Windows XP (though I had used shell replacements like AstonShell and BBLean for quite some time before that).

Some time later I found Ubuntu 5.04 and that I enjoyed quite much, although it crashed quite a lot despite my GeForce 6000 series graphics card. (I think it was due to graphics drivers.) It still took almost two years to convert me to Linux full-time, and even so it was more due to Windows blowing so hard than Linux impressing me with anything.

Comment

• FreeBSD count ?

I know it's not really Linux, but I cut my teeth on FreeBSD around '96/'97 and then worked with Debian for awhile. I bounced around Corel Linux / RedHat / X/K/Ubuntu's trying to find a good desktop distro and eventual landed on Gentoo. I went back to FreeBSD for a few years and now run Arch for all my desktops and use either FreeBSD, Debian or CentOS for servers.

Comment

• Slackware

~1993, and it took 1 metric crapton of floppies. Luckily that was back in the day when Computer City (now gone) had some awesome deals on 100 packs of floppies.

Comment

• SuSe 4 or something. it didnt last long tho. had problems getting video drivers and audio drivers to work. Next i had Fedora Core 5 i think.. didnt last long either..couldnt play my games on it ... then was some break from linux..and switched back to ubuntu 7.04...used until ubuntu 10.10 from where i went to Linux Mint world (11) and now am using Mint 12

Comment

Working...
                      X