Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my first distro of Linux was knoppix but I had a Fedora 1 install which I updated to 2. Fedora 2 had problems so I left linux for a long time but I did use it here and there. I liked slax live. Then I discovered Ubuntu 8.04 amd64 and it had Wubi which got me interested in it again. Also my computer was much better when I had first started linux. It got better when I upgraded it to a quad core. Now I installed a real ext3 partition and now using 9.04 Alpha 4. It's came a long way since I have first started using it.

Comment

• My dad uses Fedora 9 x86_64 but I don't know if he has upgraded to 10 yet. I did give him a respin of 10 x86_64 from Fedora Unity which has a ton of updates. He did try Ubuntu 8.10 but his Linksys Speedbooster wifi card wouldn't work right but a belkin USB one worked sort of. He gave up and went back to Fedora 9. He has used Redhat and Fedora 5. He had a fedora 5 install but he does have XP. His laptop has vista ultimate x86.

Comment

• first linux

The oldest set of disks I still have are Slack 3 and one by InfoMagic published in June and October of 1995. The First distro is long lost in the annals of time and a crashed hd. I was added to the Linux counter in 1994. I will say it has been a fun ride. It amazes me what all the folks have done for just the satisfaction of doing it. Shows that $$$ is not the driving force of an economy in spite of what the powers think. Thanks to all who have worked so hard to produce such a fine product.

minion

Comment

• Slackware

Got it off the CD included with Volkerding's book, 2nd edition. I remember pulling my VGA card so I could read the specs on the RAMDAC. Followed that up with Mandrake, Red Hat, and finally Debian (when Potato was released). Haven't looked back since.

Comment

• long ago

GD

I think I've tried most up to about 2000 maybe 2001. Then I went to redhat. More practical reasons than anything else. It's fairly easy to install and upgrade, at the time I was working as a tech for mil, honeywell and others. I managed to get some of the other folks I was working with hooked along the way. Now I'm on fedora, will probably stay there. I still get a kick when folks tell me how hard linux is to work with today. As opposed to the early slack and others where we did have to take the box apart to make sure we knew what we had inside. Been a fun ride. The first kernel was .99 as I recall

minion

Alaskans for Global Warming!!

Comment

• In the late 90's I got hold of a Turbolinux disc, i didn't have an internet connection back then...Then tried Red Hat, then Mandrake, then settled for a while on Gentoo because I enjoyed breaking & fixing my system on a daily basis. I remember how happy I was when I got framebuffer console working!

Left linux after that because I didn't have a computer for a few years. Then about a year ago I decided to play again on a laptop. I was mostly curious to see the progress of the linux desktop as a windows replacement. I chose Gentoo again & quickly broke my system during the install...

Then dove into Ubuntu, & never looked back.

Comment

• Originally posted by elsie View Post
                In the late 90's I got hold of a Turbolinux disc, i didn't have an internet connection back then...Then tried Red Hat, then Mandrake, then settled for a while on Gentoo because I enjoyed breaking & fixing my system on a daily basis. I remember how happy I was when I got framebuffer console working!

Left linux after that because I didn't have a computer for a few years. Then about a year ago I decided to play again on a laptop. I was mostly curious to see the progress of the linux desktop as a windows replacement. I chose Gentoo again & quickly broke my system during the install...

Then dove into Ubuntu, & never looked back.
                When the internet became universally accessible I was running a bbs on OS/2. I finally got the bbs (running wildcat called Minions Sanctuary) running on a linux box it was too late, the internet had become a way of life. Before Internet a couple of the bbs's got together and would download some of the news groups so the folks could talk to others out in the real world. You have to remember that Alaska is almost a country/world unto itself (I feel I must apologize for Sarah Palin). I often wonder how many people even remember bbs's. . .

minion

Alaskans for global warming!! 8*)

Comment

• Originally posted by minion View Post
                  When the internet became universally accessible I was running a bbs on OS/2. I finally got the bbs (running wildcat called Minions Sanctuary) running on a linux box it was too late, the internet had become a way of life. Before Internet a couple of the bbs's got together and would download some of the news groups so the folks could talk to others out in the real world. You have to remember that Alaska is almost a country/world unto itself (I feel I must apologize for Sarah Palin). I often wonder how many people even remember bbs's. . .
                  I remember bbs's! a friends brother had quite the setup for 1989, 9600 modem, a dedicated phone line, & what seemed like the fastest computer ever! (was a 286 i think). The guy seemed to use bbs's a lot, but all i ever saw him doing was downloading dirty pictures & saving them on 3.5's.

good times!

Comment

• Elsie

Mine ran 14.4's and was multi-node so I had to buy a phoneline for each node, 4 was the most I could afford. I didn't have dirty pictures cause it was mostly used by the kids in the Valley here (Mat-Su). I had a prize for the first one of the kids to hack into the bbs. A lot of kids learned computers from that little toy it was 386 w/387 math chip. In the 8 or 9 years it was up I had only one person trying to pick up the kids for illicit activities. My youngest member was 7. Was fun times and much more personal than the internet. I could have linked into the 'net but didn't see any point.

Minion

Alaskans for Global Warming!!!

Comment

• Uhm my first was redhat linux version 7? I think... My dad then changed to SuSE pro when they stopped the free/cheap version and went to RHEL.

I'm ubuntu, and since i build my dads systems they are ubuntu too, even if he prefers Suse. I win!

Comment

Working...
                      X