Clear All

• Mandrake 8.1 back on 2001, I think. then,
    Redhat 7.3 -> 9.0.
    Suse 9.3
    Debian 2.xx
    Debian 3 (sarge)
    Ubuntu 6.10 or 7.04 ?? -> 8.04
    Suse 11.1 (now).

Will switch to Ubuntu 9.04 x86_64 when she come out. In Indonesia, you rarely find a good quality internet connection, so must resort to some distros that provide plenty packages. And so far, ubuntu still the one with the most packages on their DVD-repository.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zhick View Post
      Uhm yeah... because there are only americans on the world? WTF is wrong with you? That's got to be the most ignorant statement I've ever read on this forums. (ok, that's propably not true, but it ranks up pretty high)
      ofcourse its completely inconcievable for you that a non american(thats right... im Danish), would not want ugly localized applications, or movies with halfassed synchronized replacement audio etc...

you know, germans are some of the worst in the world about this, i somewhat often see germans asking for directions here in denmark, and they just assume people speak german, or want to speak german, the only ones worse is the french.

Comment

• and because of that germans made the german translation of KDE complete. Then comes ubuntu and fucks it up. If you want complete danish translations, nobody will prevent you from contributing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
          ofcourse its completely inconcievable for you that a non american(thats right... im Danish), would not want ugly localized applications, or movies with halfassed synchronized replacement audio etc...
          On movies (and books, for that matter) I agree with you. But that's a totaly different thing than the translation of computer-programs. There's nothing "artsy" about it, there's no hidden meaning that could be lost.
          You also have to keep in mind that there are lots of danish/german/whatever people who just don't understand english. You assuming everyone speaks english is nothing different from the tourists (which you seem to hate so much) assuming you speak their language.

Comment

• My first touch with GNU/Linux was playing with SuSe LiveCD an hour or two back on summer 2002 or 2003 i believe.
            My first installed Linux system was Gentoo 1.4 or something, on December 17th-19th 2003
            That installation was mainly for testing and learning (and CS 1.5 server for me and my friends...), since i had practically no previous Linux experience. I chose Gentoo because one of my friends had it installed and he praised about it
            Since then i have tried i think every release of Ubuntu on some secondary testing PC, but Gentoo has been the primary OS since summer 2004 or something, when i finally dumped w2k as "the" OS. I also "maintain" (= at least installed the OS at the first place..) our family PC, my little sister's PC, and a couple of my friend's PCs, and those have Ubuntu installed on them.
            Now i'm thinking of moving to Funtoo, just for fun Since my current Gentoo installation has gone without complete world update since last May (because of summer holidays, during which there was 340km between myself and the machine). It has also been kind of an habit of mine to always install fresh Gentoo on new HDDs i have bought and keep the old installations around just in case... And now i have a new HDD once again.

Comment

• Hehe, started with Gentoo because of a friend (that was a difficult but rewarding series of months, hehe), dabbled around other places because I wanted to see this "so much simpler than Gentoo" that everyone was talking about, came back to Gentoo for BSD-like trappings and fantastic community. Haven't felt like leaving since and have been scoring converts with it since Ubuntu was a bedwetter in Debian's daycare. Completely Windows-free for four years and counting; not a day goes by where I regret it.

Comment

• 'Started with Redhat 5.2. I'm a cross between lamer and power nerd so it's been an erratic history. My primary app is Excel though and I use the matrix math functions so that has hobbled me from going completely off windows. Now I'm using a program called "Michlet" which is only available in windows and so I'm stuck with MS.

Currently I have a computer running linux only, a Sempron 3400+ 2Gb. I''m using Ubuntu and looking at Gentoo.

Comment

• Ubuntu 7.10

Keep trying different distros, but keep coming back to Ubuntu. Have a triple boot with Vista, Ubuntu, and Fedora for the learning experience.

Comment

• puh, I can't remember. Some years ago I tested many distributions like SuSE and Ubuntu and after using Ubuntu for over a year I switched to Fedora a couple of days ago.

Comment

• I downloaded Knoppix 3.3 one day, when I was around at a relative's house with a blazing fast 512Kbps line.

After playing around with it for a few weeks I downloaded Slackware 9 (it took three days!) then found out the drivers for my modem sucked abysmally and couldn't hold a connection up for longer than a minute.

Went back to windows for a while until one day, 4 or 5 years ago, the OS decided to brick itself after installing service pack 2. By then I had my own 512k line though, so I installed Gentoo (also took three days :-( ) and turned the windows partition into swap space, then never looked back.

Comment

Working...
                      X