This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tarmael View Post
    Want to test Debian though. I think it may break my Ubuntu cycle.
    Try sidux

Its a distro based on debian Sid where you get the latest packages and it's very well supported and has a very active user community. As this distro is 100% debian compatible, its a good way to try debian without the hassle.

Go here for info on sidux:

Comment

• My first was slackware back in '96. It now seem my last will be Ubuntu 8.04. I'm so tired of this now.

Comment

• Tried a few in the begining Mandrake,Redhat,Corel around 99/2000 I think

Setled with Mandrake 7.1, my first Powerpack 8.1

Tried no end since, thought Sabayon is a nice distro just cant get on with the package management. Think I prefer rpm based

Stuck with Mandrake/Mandriva currently on 2009.

Not had windoze in for 3 + years now.

Pete

Comment

• I started with Red Hat 6.0 back in 1999, next I went testing 6.1, 6.2 and finally got sick and bored from RedHat in 7.0.

Then, word passed to me of a distro named Debian, installed Sid and for the first time I got a taste of bleeding edge.

Years after, I got tired from the bleeding edge and just for lazyness I started to use Xubuntu 8.04 and now Xubuntu 8.10.

And of course, I've messed around with FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Solaris.

Comment

• My first distro: SUSE

my current distro: openSUSE

Comment

• My first was Slackware back in '95 or so. I remember making it look just like win95 (yeah yeah). It was mostly a hmm, look at this, that's neat, now back to windows to run my apps and games. I really got into Linux with Redhat 5.1 and stayed with it through Fedora Core 4. Running a web/email server for about 10 years. Then switched to Ubuntu Gutsy 64bit server because I liked Ubuntu on my desktop. I'm running 64bit Intrepid on all my pcs (6) full time, except one that runs windows xp for gaming. I still try just about every Distro I can get my hands on though. Seems lately I download them, and don't have time to install before a newer version comes out.

Comment

• I started with Mandrake 7 or 8 then tried Slackware, Suse, Fedora, then back to Windows for a while and now I use Ubuntu exclusively.

Comment

• Red Hat Linux 6.2 in 2000 for me, stayed with RHL but in little use and mostly as a file server until the last release and then moved to what would become debian sarge. I got tired of waiting for etch and moved to ubuntu feisty, and during that time I finally felt linux was getting ready to be my primary desktop after seven years(!). With the release of gutsy I made the jump and have now used it fully for 15 months.

Comment

• My first? Fedora Core 3. Lasted until I discovered portage, and a package manager that didn't break under the abuse I gave it. I've been a Gentoo user ever since.

Comment

• Redhat 5.2

Comment

Working...
                      X