Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My fist Linux Distro that I used was Red Hat 6.1. Then the next one that I used was SuSe a few years later. Since then I have used Ubuntu since it came out. I administer RHEL servers at work.

Comment

• Slackware 3.0 on a dual-boot Windows 3.1/Linux laptop running on a 486DX2/66 with a huge 510MB hard drive. I seem to remember it came on about six floppy disks and I was able to run Apache, X11 and Netscape in 8MB of RAM to develop wevb pages.

Comment

• My first was Fedora Core. Forgot which version...

Comment

• I wanted gentoo, just because the logo was so cool, failed to do it so I went with Fedora Core 4, that didn't fit me right so I went to suse10, and have been using as my main OS since(I also have 1 ubuntu computer)

Comment

• Damn Small Linux.
            then ubunu :-)

Comment

• Gentoo! I've never installed another distro and never will.

Comment

• SLS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softlanding_Linux_System) and yes, it was on 40 1.4M floppies. I can't remember the version that I used, but it allowed me to compile Linux 0.99pl15

Comment

• Ah those days... I still remember me breaking the social taboo for non geeks and installing ubuntu 7.04 for which I needed to free up quarter my hard disc...

Comment

• Let me see, I tried to install Redhat wayyy back in 1999, but X was acting weird (the screen is larger than my monitor resolution). So I didn't try again until a few years later.

Then I tried Mandrake, but X won't work again. A couple months later Redhat 7.2 came out. X worked fine out of the box and I've never looked back since. Currently using Fedora 9.

Comment

• Slackware 2 back in 1994. Oh man, so many floppies lol. Over 50 floppy disks. And every 2 months one would go corrupted

Around 1996 I found RedHat. Used it for 1 day, away it went. It sucked so much that I developed a deep, pure, strong hate for RedHat that lasts till today. You better kill me than put RedHat/Fedora on my disk

I kept Slackware until I discovered SuSE Linux 6 in 1998. That was it. Best Linux I came across. I kept it until 2008 even after Novell took over. I tried Debian along the way, but it sucked. I tried Ubuntu when the hype started and couldn't see why there was such hype; SUSE/openSUSE is way easier for the newbie. Ubuntu gives Linux a bad name I think.

Then, 3 months ago I discovered Gentoo I wonder why I didn't look at it sooner. I guess the reviews missed the point totally. It turned out Gentoo is everything I ever wished from a Linux distro.

Comment

Working...
                      X