X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ManganMan
    replied
    As far as I remember, it would be Knoppix 3.

Leave a comment:

• F1esDgSdUTYpm0iy
    replied
    Quite some time ago, over 10 years or so, I started out with Gentoo; mostly for its fairly in-depth, over the top, off-the-wall installation back then. Just seemed cool to me. Ultimately, I did not use it for long though. When I went back to Linux, I first tried Ubuntu for a while before ultimately settling on one of its flavours, Xubuntu.

Which I am very happy with.

Leave a comment:

• Darknation
    replied
    New guy here! I started taking Linux seriously during the Ubuntu 12.04LTS and that's what got me started. Now I run Mint 17.3 as my desktop and my servers run Ubuntu server with Mate.

Leave a comment:

• matsbtegner
    replied
    Slackware 7.0 back in 1999.

Leave a comment:

• rabcor
    replied
    Gentoo! (I can't say I would recommend this route... I now use Arch.)

Leave a comment:

• Alcoholic_Nate
    replied
    Red Hat 9 in two thousand three. I bought it and then Red Hat turned right around and ended support. I was pissed that I bought a software product that was expired before it came off the shelf, well it took several months, but still I had hoped to see a few or more years of support.

I was so mad at Red Hat I switched to Pre-Novell Suse Pro. Got to love the olden days of Red Hat and Suse with their massive boxes and Suse had a super thick user manual and an even bigger manual for admins in the box. Shame I don't have those discs and manuals anymore.

I gave up on Suse because every time I put a CD in the drive I couldn't get it to come out and I didn't know about manual unmounting at the time. Had to reboot the computer to get the CD out.

So after Suse I tried to install Slackware and you know what they say... if you can't install Slackware you install Debian and that is exactly what happened. Debian was horrible. Debian did not support my hardware as it was too new and the best I could get with my Nvidia card was 640x480. This was 2004. But I fell in love with Debian warts and all and anyway I eventually found solutions to all my Debian problems and that led me to...

Ubuntu 4.10 which was utter crap on my hardware. However I could not pry myself away from Ubuntu. Debian just got more reliable and less buggy on my hardware all the while Ubuntu which eventually was 3 or 4 releases ahead of my hardware and such should have had good support, but alas Ubuntu never works properly with my hardware. Constant crashes freezes etc. So in November my tower died and I thought I'm buying a System76 machine so I know it will work properly. I got my machine on the 4th of December and so far so good.

Leave a comment:

• guyonearth
    replied
    In theory, my first disto would be Slackware 1, I remember getting it as a CD in the back of some huge Linux book. I know I got it to boot, but I can't remember if I actually got a working install with a GUI. The first working install I remember was Red Hat 4 (not RHEL 4). I also remember SuSE 5 and the first versions of Mandrake.

Leave a comment:

• humbug
    replied
    Linux Mint Debian Edition was my first. Just a few months ago.
    I got confused by the disk partition requirements during install but managed to get through it eventually.

Leave a comment:

• _r00t-
    replied
    RedHat 5.2/Suse 6.0

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    RedHat 5.2/Debian 2.0/Mandrake 5.2

------------

Best Linux Distribution in 2015

Leave a comment:

Working...