Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 14 Officially Released With New Features

Phoronix: Fedora 14 Officially Released With New Features

"It's here! It's here! It's really here!" Jared Smith, the Fedora Project Leader, has just announced the release of Fedora 14 (a.k.a. Laughlin)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Linux 2.6.36 kernel"

I think that kernel-2.6.35.6 is F14 kernel for now

Of course in the future kernel mayby updated to 2.6.36, because 2.6.35 will lose official support in near future.

Comment

Just one punctualization: F14 ships with kernel version 2.6.35, not 2.6.36.

Comment

Originally posted by michal View Post
        "Linux 2.6.36 kernel"

I think that kernel-2.6.35.6 is F14 kernel for now

Of course in the future kernel mayby updated to 2.6.36, because 2.6.35 will lose official support in near future.
        I doubt that they will update their kernel to 2.6.36 in Fedora 14. Fedora announced a more conservative updates policy a few weeks ago.

Releases of the Fedora distribution are like releases of the individual packages that compose it. A major version number reflects a more-or-less stable set of features and functionality. As a result, we should avoid major updates of packages within a stable release. Updates should aim to fix bugs, and not introduce features,...
        Fedora wiki - Updates policy

Nice that catalyst 10.10 works well with this Fedora release. For Fedora releases 12, 13 and several other releases catalyst support was not there at release date.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
          I doubt that they will update their kernel to 2.6.36 in Fedora 14. Fedora announced a more conservative updates policy a few weeks ago.
          Good to hear that Fedora stable updates policy has changed and now is more conservative.

Comment

Originally posted by michal View Post
            Good to hear that Fedora stable updates policy has changed and now is more conservative.
            Let me disagree, I quite enjoied the new features kernel updates provided in Fedora.

Comment

And not to forget: GnuStep

Comment

/yawn. Version bump release like the others.

Not saying there wasn't a lot of hard work put into the release, but from a desktop user's standpoint, I don't think there's anything exciting here.

Next time, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by spiritofreason View Post
                  I don't think there's anything exciting here.
                  Yes, an important systemd feature was rescheduled to F15

Comment

Originally posted by spiritofreason View Post
                    /yawn. Version bump release like the others.

Not saying there wasn't a lot of hard work put into the release, but from a desktop user's standpoint, I don't think there's anything exciting here.

Next time, maybe.
                    Actually, if your desktop usage requires virtualization (E.g. running Windows VM), F14 w/ SPICE is a major improvement.

- Gilboa
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                    X