X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by etnlWings View Post
    A rolling release is something like Debian Sid, or Arch, where packages are updated as new releases become available (and after some cursory error checking in experimental branches, to ensure that a large number of people don't end up with unbootable systems).
    Yes, because a new Firefox (or new MPlayer, Amarok, Gimp, Skype, etc, etc) can make your system unbootable.

The excuse of non-rolling distros for not updating only applies to dependencies (like libraries and infrastructure). When will they understand that the non-dependencies, end-user apps (like the above mentioned) should be updated because they're not really part of the operating system as such.

Leave a comment:

• etnlWings
    replied
    Originally posted by Silverthorn View Post
    The only trouble I have is the inability to install fglrx. For me it won't even show up in hardware drivers (jokey). Installing it through synaptic results in a broken system.
    When was the last time you used Maverick? They fixed that in the latter betas.

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post

How's that for a coincidence?
    It's not; it was intentional.

Originally posted by gregzeng View Post
    @Detructor "new harddrive" - what type: Momentus XT (with inbuilt SSD)?

@AnonymousCoward: EXPLAIN FURTHER to non-English people. "42" is the alleged secret to the universe, according to one science fiction movie.

What none seems to understand here is that Ubuntu is now a ROLLING release. If we have 100.04 systems, they should allow rolling upto 10.04.

Or do I misunderstand Ubuntu?

BTW: b4 EXT4 was the "standard", a complete re-install was needed to move from EXT3 to EXT4. So the claimed "rolling release" was not true.

Retired (medical) IT Consultant, Australian Capital Territory
    Um.

42 was the answer to the 'ultimate question' of life, the universe and everything. Of course, we never find out what the question is, so...

And yes, it's from HGttG: the BBC radio play, early 80's TV series, books and the pretty fantastic film they made a few years ago.

Ubuntu is not a rolling release and 'rolling' has nothing to do with HDDs, or partitioning schemes. Ubuntu is still made available as discreet releases, once every 6 months (hence, not rolling). There's been some talk of loosening their policies for updating things like Firefox and Pidgin within releases but other than that, version numbers of software remain largely static during the lifecycle of each release.

A rolling release is something like Debian Sid, or Arch, where packages are updated as new releases become available (and after some cursory error checking in experimental branches, to ensure that a large number of people don't end up with unbootable systems).

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by gregzeng View Post
    @AnonymousCoward: EXPLAIN FURTHER to non-English people. "42" is the alleged secret to the universe, according to one science fiction movie.
    Not a movie. It's from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Leave a comment:

• gregzeng
    replied
    @Detructor "new harddrive" - what type: Momentus XT (with inbuilt SSD)?

What none seems to understand here is that Ubuntu is now a ROLLING release. If we have 100.04 systems, they should allow rolling upto 10.04.

Or do I misunderstand Ubuntu?

BTW: b4 EXT4 was the "standard", a complete re-install was needed to move from EXT3 to EXT4. So the claimed "rolling release" was not true.

Retired (medical) IT Consultant, Australian Capital Territory

Leave a comment:

• Max Spain
    replied
    With 10.10 we have also dropped support for i586 and lower processors, as well as i686 processors without cmov support.
    It will be interesting to see what kind of performance improvements can be seen from this move. I'll be downloading and seeding this through the night

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    101010 = 42

How's that for a coincidence?

Leave a comment:

• AnonymousCoward
    replied

101010 = 42

Leave a comment:

• Silverthorn
    replied
    The only trouble I have is the inability to install fglrx. For me it won't even show up in hardware drivers (jokey). Installing it through synaptic results in a broken system.

Leave a comment:

• Detructor
    replied
    I installed it on a new harddrive and I was surprised how nice it is...the idea of configuring the system while installing it is cool. Boot: From POST BIOS to full logged in session: 5 seconds (not counting the time for typing the password), with 10.04 ~15 seconds.

oh and the best thing: Heroes of Newerth works with AMD HD5870 graphiccard for me while using the fglrx driver delivered with ubuntu 10.10

Leave a comment:

• unimatrix
    replied
    Amazing! This is the first time everything went smooth during upgrade. Not only does everything still work, they even made it amazingly responsive (nautilus, scrolling,...) and it boots even faster now! The new font is spectacular too - so easy on the eyes and so clear.

This is the best release ever.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X