Ubuntu 10.10 Has Arrived On 10/10/2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Blog site, FUD much. There's an aggregator for social networks, called Gwibber (which was also available on 10.04). You can ignore it or uninstall it as you wish.
    I like the social crap integration but Gwibber is unbelievably slow for such a simple app. It also has many bugs, like not displaying the time units, at least on my language it only shows something like "updated 3 ago". It's also very ugly. In fact I'm still looking for a desktop app to acces my twitter accounts, but I end up always going back to the web interface which is excellent and much better than all the apps I've tried. Same story with facebook.

Maverick Meerkat is by far the most polished desktop Linux available right now.
    Maybe the desktop is ok, but the netbook edition is terrible. By far the worst experience I had on a netbook. No, actually that was KDE netbook, ubuntu netbook 10.10 is the second worst.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      A blog states that the social crap has been integrated tightly in 10.10, so much it's hard to remove. If so, it's really downhill for Ubuntu now.
      Maybe they're talking about dependencies; I know Ubuntu's had some weird ones in the past, like evolution. They've also made it impossible to uninstall wayland.
      Maverick Meerkat is by far the most polished desktop Linux available right now.
      Well that's depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
        Amazing! This is the first time everything went smooth during upgrade. Not only does everything still work, they even made it amazingly responsive (nautilus, scrolling,...) and it boots even faster now! The new font is spectacular too - so easy on the eyes and so clear.

This is the best release ever.
        I'd hesitate that it's the best one ever- it still has a few sharp edges that lurk in the wings from having started with a beta back in September and using it as, even though it was ill-advised, a production desktop system for my current Day Job. It works smoother in many ways to the previous versions- but there's still things...off...with the thing.

For example, OpenJDK is your only choice for Java right at the moment- and things aren't apparently as stable with it on 10.10 versus 10.4; Eclipse and Netbeans seem to be much less stable than they were in 10.4 (Crashes abound, especially with Netbeans trying to do C/C++ development. Had to quit trying that since it'd die more often than stay up there. So long as I stick to the Java stuff (Day job has me doing C/C++ and Java stuff depending on which part of the system I'm working on...) it is MOSTLY stable- it only occasionally crashes on startup and then is robust past that.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
          why would anyone uninstall mono or evolution? seems dumb to me since there is nothing compareable to evolution not even outlook. And mono is a nice language implementation, why would you denie it?
          1) It's about choice. If I'm not using the silly thing, why make it a dependency in the case of Evolution. It's STILL not stable enough to use against an Exchange 2007 server- it gets confused often enough and loses it's ability to work with the server here at work that I gave up trying with it and have a VirtualBox session with the old HD with their XP install on it as the boot volume. It's up for one thing. Email.

2) Mono's a nice implementation, yes. OF A PATENTED TECHNOLOGY. Don't believe for one moment that Microsoft will not sue someone over it- that patent pledge has so many holes in it that it won't protect anyone using Mono when push comes to shove. Why even get ensnared there? (It amazes me just how many people keep getting sucker-punched by Microsoft's stuff. It's not easier. It's not better. It's different. If you use it, it's designed to tie you to Microsoft's stuff in perpetuity. Even CIL and C#. If you've not been bit enough times, I guess you wouldn't understand- but if you like MS' stuff, why are you even using Linux in the first place?) But each to their own- like I said in 1, it's about choice. Making it a dependency is a problem really as it really ISN'T one any more than Evolution is.

Putting the window buttons back to the right side is much more important.
          Heh... Pick Clearlooks as the theme. You'd be surprised how easy it is to get what's important to you- if that's what's actually more important to you.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Not a movie. It's from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
            Ah, but they may not have read the book, heard the Radio edition, and may have only seen the BBC TV edition or just the Movie...

I can proudly say I've done all the above...

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
              why would anyone uninstall mono or evolution? seems dumb to me since there is nothing compareable to evolution not even outlook. And mono is a nice language implementation, why would you denie it?
              I prefer Thunderbird over Evolution, so I have the reason to uninstall it. There's nothing revolutionary in evolution, impressed? You were kidding when you were making comparison to utter piece of crap which outlook is, weren't you? I'd like Ubuntu to choose Thunderbird over Evolution and Pidgin over Empathy and to integrate them, because those applications are more complete then their counterparts (Pidgin especially). 10.10 is very appealing and if I wouldn't have Windows installed I'd probably install it next to Arch. Ubuntu's new font is looking simply great in Ubuntu, but sadly it sucked a lot in Kubuntu RC.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Man, what a load of horse poo! It almost looks like stuff is *deliberately* broken.
                Heh... A horseman will tell you that a load of horse poo's pretty useful- it can make for really good fertilizer for your pasture or for a garden. Sounds like this is less useful than a load of horse poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                  Ah, but they may not have read the book, heard the Radio edition, and may have only seen the BBC TV edition or just the Movie...

I can proudly say I've done all the above...
                  Complete off topic but the important questions have to be asked. Do you prefer the books or the radio show and have you read the 6th book?

Comment

Originally posted by etnlWings View Post
                    ..... cut ....

Ubuntu is not a rolling release and 'rolling' has nothing to do with HDDs, or partitioning schemes. Ubuntu is still made available as discreet releases, once every 6 months (hence, not rolling). There's been some talk of loosening their policies for updating things like Firefox and Pidgin within releases but other than that, version numbers of software remain largely static during the lifecycle of each release.

A rolling release is something like Debian Sid, or Arch, where packages are updated as new releases become available (and after some cursory error checking in experimental branches, to ensure that a large number of people don't end up with unbootable systems).
                    In my direct experiences, all my Ubuntu 10.04 auto-upgraded to 10.10. I kept on with EXT4 all the way.

When I was limited to EXT3, I had to re-install from a new DVD. Are you guessing, or denying my real experiences with Ubuntu?

Comment

@Svartalf

Did you notice that you can not depend on /dev/dsp anymore? All oss legacy devices are away with U 10.10 kernels (or kernels with similar config). Please test your game ports if they still require it to start like the one new game.

Comment

Working...
                      X