Ubuntu 10.10 Has Arrived On 10/10/2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
    Ubuntu 10.10 is okay once you do a bit of post installation tweaking. Rid it of the intrusive ubuntuone-client and remove some of the Novell crap (Mono, Evolution). Not that much different than 10.04.

why would anyone uninstall mono or evolution? seems dumb to me since there is nothing compareable to evolution not even outlook. And mono is a nice language implementation, why would you denie it?

Putting the window buttons back to the right side is much more important.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
      why would anyone uninstall mono or evolution?
      If you don't need them, why would you keep them? I don't need Evolution or Mono, for example, so I don't install them.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf
        Ubuntu 10.10 is okay once you do a bit of post installation tweaking. Rid it of the intrusive ubuntuone-client and remove some of the Novell crap (Mono, Evolution). Not that much different than 10.04.
        Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        If you don't need them, why would you keep them? I don't need Evolution or Mono, for example, so I don't install them.
        Hey, I don't have Evolution or Mono installed! I don't need Mono or Evolution! Hey, did I mention that Mono and Evolution don't exist on my system? Yeah, I don't need Mono and Evolution! So no Evolution or Mono for me!

It's ok, we really don't care what you do or do not install. Especially not in an Ubuntu thread.

Comment

He asked a question, which I answered.

You, on the other hand, are trolling again with your religious wars. In no way did I slight Ubuntu here. Chill, insecure boy.

Comment

Even if you're not a freetard, if your system is more than a couple of years old, avoiding managed apps has it's benefits. Thankfully, java, python and mono haven't crept their way into many core desktop apps.

Comment

Fantastic. My Broadcom wireless chip doesn?t seem to work. Guess I need to hack some stuff now.

Comment

I really HATE that it's not possible to dd the ubuntu iso image to a usb flash drive. Also, what the hell:

What is this? There are other distros out there :P How about a generic method? Oh wait... I already answered this.

Comment

Well i wrote already what to do, here a bit more explained

sudo apt-get install syslinux

isohybrid image.iso

then you can do what you wanted with it.

U or better cjwatson does not like that isohybrid as 2nd command appoach therefore it does not work, take a look there:

Binary package hint: syslinux Since all other major distributions create hybrid mode iso images it is really sad to see that U does not use that feature. It was introduced with syslinux 3.72 which was over 1 year ago and used till then by Fedora, Moblin, Kanotix... As the U syslinux is a SuSE modification i would suggest to use the OpenSuSE patches. OpenSuSE uses hybrid images since 11.2, so only U is lagging behind. Source: http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/src-oss/suse/src/syslinu...

I think for a bug that i reported 8 month before release the result is really disappointing...

Comment

A blog states that the social crap has been integrated tightly in 10.10, so much it's hard to remove. If so, it's really downhill for Ubuntu now.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      A blog states that the social crap has been integrated tightly in 10.10, so much it's hard to remove. If so, it's really downhill for Ubuntu now.
                      Blog site, FUD much. There's an aggregator for social networks, called Gwibber (which was also available on 10.04). You can ignore it or uninstall it as you wish.

Maverick Meerkat is by far the most polished desktop Linux available right now.

Comment

Working...
                      X