No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 10.10 Has Arrived On 10/10/2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Detructor "new harddrive" - what type: Momentus XT (with inbuilt SSD)?

@AnonymousCoward: EXPLAIN FURTHER to non-English people. "42" is the alleged secret to the universe, according to one science fiction movie.

What none seems to understand here is that Ubuntu is now a ROLLING release. If we have 100.04 systems, they should allow rolling upto 10.04.

Or do I misunderstand Ubuntu?

BTW: b4 EXT4 was the "standard", a complete re-install was needed to move from EXT3 to EXT4. So the claimed "rolling release" was not true.

Retired (medical) IT Consultant, Australian Capital Territory

Comment

Originally posted by gregzeng View Post
      @AnonymousCoward: EXPLAIN FURTHER to non-English people. "42" is the alleged secret to the universe, according to one science fiction movie.
      Not a movie. It's from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverthorn View Post
        The only trouble I have is the inability to install fglrx. For me it won't even show up in hardware drivers (jokey). Installing it through synaptic results in a broken system.
        When was the last time you used Maverick? They fixed that in the latter betas.

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post

How's that for a coincidence?
        It's not; it was intentional.

Originally posted by gregzeng View Post
        @Detructor "new harddrive" - what type: Momentus XT (with inbuilt SSD)?

What none seems to understand here is that Ubuntu is now a ROLLING release. If we have 100.04 systems, they should allow rolling upto 10.04.

Or do I misunderstand Ubuntu?

BTW: b4 EXT4 was the "standard", a complete re-install was needed to move from EXT3 to EXT4. So the claimed "rolling release" was not true.

Retired (medical) IT Consultant, Australian Capital Territory
        Um.

42 was the answer to the 'ultimate question' of life, the universe and everything. Of course, we never find out what the question is, so...

And yes, it's from HGttG: the BBC radio play, early 80's TV series, books and the pretty fantastic film they made a few years ago.

Ubuntu is not a rolling release and 'rolling' has nothing to do with HDDs, or partitioning schemes. Ubuntu is still made available as discreet releases, once every 6 months (hence, not rolling). There's been some talk of loosening their policies for updating things like Firefox and Pidgin within releases but other than that, version numbers of software remain largely static during the lifecycle of each release.

A rolling release is something like Debian Sid, or Arch, where packages are updated as new releases become available (and after some cursory error checking in experimental branches, to ensure that a large number of people don't end up with unbootable systems).

Comment

Originally posted by etnlWings View Post
          A rolling release is something like Debian Sid, or Arch, where packages are updated as new releases become available (and after some cursory error checking in experimental branches, to ensure that a large number of people don't end up with unbootable systems).
          Yes, because a new Firefox (or new MPlayer, Amarok, Gimp, Skype, etc, etc) can make your system unbootable.

The excuse of non-rolling distros for not updating only applies to dependencies (like libraries and infrastructure). When will they understand that the non-dependencies, end-user apps (like the above mentioned) should be updated because they're not really part of the operating system as such.

Comment

Well actually, some Firefox upgrades have been pretty destructive in the past. If FF is the only browser a user has installed and they're not too proficient with the package manager, it can put them in an awkward situation.

Pidgin is a different matter. Every time one of the IM services change an encryption method, or tweak the protocol, Pidgin stops working. The only way to keep Pidgin working, it to continually upgrade it.

Comment

I tried Kubuntu 10.10 just out of curiosity.

Man, what a load of horse poo! It almost looks like stuff is *deliberately* broken.

Comment

Originally posted by etnlWings View Post
                When was the last time you used Maverick? They fixed that in the latter betas.
                I've been using Maverick for a few months now with xorg-edgers. I reverted the ppa to try fglrx but it won't install properly. If a fix is available they must have forgotten to send me a copy of it .

Comment

The new font is beatiful. At long long last, a desktop font that doesn't suck!

Try setting your font to "Ubuntu" in gnome-appearance-properties.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverthorn View Post
                    I've been using Maverick for a few months now with xorg-edgers. I reverted the ppa to try fglrx but it won't install properly. If a fix is available they must have forgotten to send me a copy of it .
                    xorg-edgers

Packages for those who think development versions, experimental and unstable are for old ladies. We want our crack straight from upstream git! Well, straight, we want it built and packaged so we don't need to know what we're doing, except that we will break our X and put our computers on fire.
                    It should be obvious that you shouldn't enable this if you need a stable system and proper installations.

Try filing a bug against xorg with [xorg-edgers] in the title.

Comment

My Kubuntu 10.04 LTS -> 10.10 upgrade experiences on a Lenovo R500 notebook:

KPackageKit breaks while trying to upgrade:
                      Binary package hint: packagekit Here is the error Error Type: Error Value: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, exceptions.SystemError found File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 2216, in main() File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 2213, in main run(args, options.single) File : /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/apt/aptBackend.py, line 2175, in run backend.dispatcher(args) File : /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/packagekit/backend.py, line...

Okay maybe this was my fault since I had a KDE 4.5.1 PPA for 10.04 installed. Anyway fixed /etc/apt/sources.list manually und used aptitude to upgrade.

BlueDevil interferes with kbluetooth. At least the later one crashes. Deinstalling kbluetooth fixes it.

KNetworkManager got deinstalled leaving me without a tool to configure the network. Installing plasma-widget-networkmanagement fixed it.

radeon/fglrx My ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 crashed with radeon drivers in 10.04 frequently. fglrx isn't perfect either and reading about the power management additions in recent kernel releases I gave the free radeon a try again: However I can't enable 3D kwin compositing and firefox crashes constantly. If you are able to read Martin's german blog

you probably know about the issues with free drivers and KDE 4.5.x.
                      Included in Kubuntu 10.10 is fglrx 8.780, which works fine as long as the blur effect is disabled (very slow if enabled). The just released Catalyst 10.10 beta 8.783 has an ugly "ATI test ..." overlay in the lower right corner:
                      This website is for sale! ati-forum.de is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ati-forum.de has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Thus not using it, but the fglrx 8.780.

After all: Kind of works. However not a smooth upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                      X