Is Fedora's Boot Time Increasing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    Maybe in the back of someone's mind, but the whole planning and processing for the fedora project is really transparent. Just head over to lists.fedoraproject.org -- its all there. Crazy hard to find anything useful due to the sheer volume of it.
    Here's the IRC logs of the decision to delay SystemD, and some well-informed comments of reactions.

Comment

Originally posted by remm View Post
      I stopped caring about boot times ever since I bought a SSD
      I stopped caring about boot times ever since I became single booter

Comment

Some of the bootcharts show readahead-collector running, one shows an ext4 fsck. Perhaps they don't make much difference to the results but they don't inspire confidence in the testing methodology.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
          I stopped caring about boot times ever since I became single booter
          SystemD is about daemon management. Launching, restarting an restarting them. Benifits are more stability in case of a daemon crash; self-healing capabilities without restarting other related daemons (dependancies).

SystemD also only leads the bare nesecary daemons, meaning less RAM and CPU usage; the bare minimal and on request, so you never have to start a daemon yourself.

Just one of the advantages is faster boot times due to bein able to launch multiple daemons at once, even if the have depencies. This is also useful for launching daemon during runtime.

Comment

Originally posted by jbrown96 View Post
            Here's the IRC logs of the decision to delay SystemD, and some well-informed comments of reactions.

http://lwn.net/Articles/405100/
            Now that is some good detective work

Comment

hald

I did noticed Fedora 14 still uses hald, which is deprecated and it was the last/slowest to start up completely, Ubuntu 10.10 doesn't load it anymore on a default install.

Comment

Working...
              X