Fedora 14 Beta Is Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azmo View Post
    Use "writefln", not "writeln", and it will work.
    Thanks, but I still got same error:
    ldc test.d
    object.d: Error: module object cannot read file 'object.d'
    import path[0] = /usr/include/d/
    import path[1] = /usr/include/d/tango
    import path[2] = /usr/include/d/tango/core/vendor

File "test.d" is in home dir, compiling with "ldc test.d".
    Does it work for you?

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
      One word: Spice.

Finally KVM will be able to do decent work as desktop virtualization solution (as opposed to server only).

- Gilboa
      I haven't heard of Spice, but it sounds interesting. What about it makes KVM easier?
      If all it does is make Networking less of a PITA, then I'm all for it.

Comment

Yeah, I would be interested too. How does it improve desktop virt?

As far as I know it's a remote protocol ala VNC or RDP, why would one use that on a desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
          I haven't heard of Spice, but it sounds interesting. What about it makes KVM easier?
          If all it does is make Networking less of a PITA, then I'm all for it.
          Simple: Spice gives you 2D acceleration under both Windows and Linux, including cursor support using native X.org and Windows drivers (qxl drivers).
          While I played with an early version of it, the different was striking: No more cursor jerkiness and slow window updates (especially if you opt for -vga std in qemu in-order to use very high resolution).

While it won't run Aero/7 or Compiz/kwin/Xorg, it should give you near native experience.

As for virt-manager, well, virt manager is limited to what qemu supplies, either cirrus logic mode (medium performance, very limited resolution set), std (vesa, large number of resolutions to select from, fairly slow) or vmware (somewhat faster then both, highly configurable, very buggy). Spice aims to change all than by adding the qxl virtual device (and its drivers).

- Gilboa
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Yeah, I would be interested too. How does it improve desktop virt?

As far as I know it's a remote protocol ala VNC or RDP, why would one use that on a desktop?
            There has to be some way for the virtualized GUI to be displayed on your screen. KVM uses the 'cirrus' driver, and the virt-manager interface is the equivalent of vnc-viewer with additional virtualization options.

SPICE is significantly faster than VNC. It provides accelerated 2D for Linux and Windows guests. It will be possible to play Netflix on Linux via a Windows guest.
            There is a great comparison of how awesome SPICE is here http://www.brianmadden.com/blogs/gab...nce-video.aspx.
            To summarize the SPICE-related video performance, he had a VM server attached via gigabit ethernet to guest systems. With an old version of SPICE (>1 year ago), the clients could perfectly play The Matrix Revolutions in HD (720p I believe) with no choppiness and a/v in sync.
            SPICE also implements a hardware cursor, so you don't see the host pointer and guest pointer (lagging slightly).

Note that this is accelerated 2D, so there's no way to play games with it.

Comment

Ah, thanks, so it's faster than Qemu's drawing to a native window. Makes sense.

On the other hand, would a native window with proper accel not be better than a network protocol on localhost? I wonder why nobody's done that yet in Qemu.

Comment

use gdc instead

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                Thanks, but I still got same error:
                ldc test.d
                object.d: Error: module object cannot read file 'object.d'
                import path[0] = /usr/include/d/
                import path[1] = /usr/include/d/tango
                import path[2] = /usr/include/d/tango/core/vendor

File "test.d" is in home dir, compiling with "ldc test.d".
                Does it work for you?
                Strange. If I use "gdc" (gcc front-end) it works fine, e.g:
                $ gdc test.d -o test
                but I can not get "ldc" to work.

Is currently on ubuntu 10.04. gdc 4.3.4 and ldc 0.9.1.

Comment

hmm.. I got Fedora 14 beta x64 and when I search for "gdc" it tells me it found "ldc", so back to same story that it can't compile a hello world app.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Ah, thanks, so it's faster than Qemu's drawing to a native window. Makes sense.

On the other hand, would a native window with proper accel not be better than a network protocol on localhost? I wonder why nobody's done that yet in Qemu.
                    qemu has SDL mode, which isn't network based. (Such as VNC).
                    However, on any modern machine that performance difference (between SDL mode and VNC mode) is barely noticeable, and doesn't worth the missing functionality [read: network transparency]).
                    ... Though, I assume that once RedHat/SPICE will start working on 3D acceleration, they may revisit the local system only approach. (Though, at least according to the mailing list, the are looking at ways at getting network-able 3D)

- Gilboa
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                      hmm.. I got Fedora 14 beta x64 and when I search for "gdc" it tells me it found "ldc", so back to same story that it can't compile a hello world app.
                      Did you file a bug?

Comment

Working...
                      X