Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 14 "Laughlin" Alpha Released

Phoronix: Fedora 14 "Laughlin" Alpha Released

While there was a delay, Red Hat has released Fedora 14 Alpha this morning, which is codenamed Laughlin. Fedora 14 switches over from Upstart to the systemd sesssion manager, further enhances its Linux virtualization stack, adds support for the D programming language, easy IPMI management, and carries various other features as one of the leading Linux distributions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

According to Wikipedia there's two versions of the D programming language: 1.0 and 2.0, does anyone know which version is Fedora bundling?

Comment

What a pity, no GNOME Live CD. Only DVDs.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
        What a pity, no GNOME Live CD. Only DVDs.
        Its 701 MB, you can probably overburn it.

Comment

Ah, okay thanks. Firefox says 704MB for the AMD64 version, I'll give it a try.

Comment

I can't remember the last time I burned a CD. Using a USB drive is so much easier, faster and silent.

Comment

And more eco-friendly!

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                I can't remember the last time I burned a CD. Using a USB drive is so much easier, faster and silent.
                I agree 100%. But unfortunately, although there about a gazillion options to boot from USB in my bios, none of them actually work. So I'm doomed to use optical media.

Back on topic, any reason why gcc isn't included on the Live CD? AFAIK even Ubuntu includes it on their Live CD.

Comment

Back on topic, any reason why gcc isn't included on the Live CD? AFAIK even Ubuntu includes it on their Live CD.
                  Probably because including it will bump out something else that they consider a higher priority.

That and the fact that you cant save stuff to a livecd (though obviously you can on a liveusb).

In general, I consider livecd's to be for "temporary" use in an emergency situation where you are faced with one or more instances of windeath. I think that is their intention as well.

Comment

I don't think it's included in the desktop install either so that would be consistent?

Comment

Working...
                    X