No announcement yet.

Trying Out The New Ubuntu 10.10 Installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just out of curiosity, what's with all the Ubuntu love on here? All I ever see are Ubuntu and Fedora related posts...

Comment

Originally posted by UVClay View Post
      Just out of curiosity, what's with all the Ubuntu love on here? All I ever see are Ubuntu and Fedora related posts...
      I dunno, maybe those are the two most important distributions, dwarfing any other distribution out there?

Comment

Wow, this is pretty terrible. Non-free software being offered in the installer?? Not to mention the fact that many commercial users don't qualify for a free patent license, and so this new option could open them up to patent infringement lawsuits if they use it...

Most importantly, Ubuntu is now making a huge statement that Free multimedia formats like Vorbis aren't worth supporting -- with this option and Ubuntu One only allowing music to be purchased in mp3 format, they're basically leaving Vorbis out to dry.

The only positive thing I see about this change is that downstream distros can re-purpose the installer option to install something else without having to add a custom page to the installer...

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
          I dunno, maybe those are the two most important distributions, dwarfing any other distribution out there?
          Most popular =/= most important. Try harder troll.

Comment

Most popular =/= most important. Try harder troll.
            As a fanboi, you're not quite successful in pushing your own distro. Lesson one: mention the name of your distro. Please try again, troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
              As a fanboi, you're not quite successful in pushing your own distro. Lesson one: mention the name of your distro. Please try again, troll.
              Not trolling. Simply wondering why Phoronix feels the need to only cover the most overrated distrobution in existance. I'm not trying to get my distro to be number one distro, either, I just wish I saw some more news for something that isn't shit.

Oh, if you want to explain to me how Fedora and Ubuntu are the two most important Linux distrobutions out there, I'm all ears.

Comment

Not trolling. Simply wondering why Phoronix feels the need to only cover the most overrated distrobution in existance. I'm not trying to get my distro to be number one distro, either, I just wish I saw some more news for something that isn't shit.

Oh, if you want to explain to me how Fedora and Ubuntu are the two most important Linux distrobutions out there, I'm all ears.
                Basically: Ubuntu is where most of the users are, and Fedora is where most of the developers are. So Ubuntu news is interesting because it affects you, and Fedora news is interesting because it affects Ubuntu. The smaller distros like openSUSE, Debian and Gentoo are like little Fedoras, mostly known for their developers.

Comment

Working...
                X