Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As A Feature, Fedora 14 May Actually Ship On Time

Phoronix: As A Feature, Fedora 14 May Actually Ship On Time

Red Hat's John Poelstra who is the Program Manager for Fedora and its "feature wrangler" has proposed an interesting feature today for Fedora 14: to actually ship it on time. The goal would be to not only ship Fedora 14 final according to their release schedule, but the alpha and beta releases too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

lets hope this feature will make it into the alpha in time

Comment

If the massive overhauls to half a dozen key systems from fedora 8 to fedora 13 hasn't killed everyone... I'm sure getting back on schedule isn't that big of a deal. If fedora 14 can get as far into open source 3d as 12 got into 2d there won't be much to do for 15. All the other ones though would start with sane feature lists and then add 5 more categories 2 weeks before beta. LOL

Comment

Who gives a damn, honestly. They should ship it when it's ready like always, I don't get why everyone wants to go Ubuntu nowadays.

Comment

Never mind the got python 2.7 on the feature list for 14. It's do or die. They aren't done the max pain developement model yet.

Comment

I don't care about delayed Fedora releases. One or two weeks just don't matter. No release had servere bugs, you just install and it runs. Back in my Ubuntu days I've seen patchorgys just after release just to get it run.

Comment

before doing a ubuntu upgrade i always wait minimum one week. so that the bugs get sorted out.

Comment

Let's go back to Windows 9x! Fedora is already as bleeding edge as possible, yet cutting release schedules to get it out is perfectly sane!

FASTER! FASTER! FASTER!

Nowadays even commercial software giants delay if it's not ready and right. Vista has been overhauled three times. Apple spend 10 years before the iPad was where it didn't totally suck.

Wake up...

Comment

The idea is simply to do the development right so that it works within schedule and we don't have to delay to release with the right quality. Take it from me, we (QA) are still not going to let anything go out that doesn't meet the release criteria.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
                    The idea is simply to do the development right so that it works within schedule and we don't have to delay to release with the right quality. Take it from me, we (QA) are still not going to let anything go out that doesn't meet the release criteria.
                    The very company that you work for took Fedora 12 to make RHEL 6.0 that's released just days ago and you tell me that what's released today is the 'right quality'? And then you want to put more pressure on the release?

I just updated the very Fedora install that I'm posting this from and I get more updates on almost a daily basis than the hack and slash Ubuntu with their blended Linux kernels and X version.

You've got to be kidding me!

Comment

Working...
                    X