As A Feature, Fedora 14 May Actually Ship On Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    The very company that you work for took Fedora 12 to make RHEL 6.0 that's released just days ago and you tell me that what's released today is the 'right quality'? And then you want to put more pressure on the release?

I just updated the very Fedora install that I'm posting this from and I get more updates on almost a daily basis than the hack and slash Ubuntu with their blended Linux kernels and X version.

You've got to be kidding me!
    If you actually believe RHEL 6 represents any single Fedora release, you do not understand the process. Besides Fedora updates on a daily basis is because updates currently are not limited to security and bug fixes but new features as well. That might change for the upcoming release but getting a release out on time is not something to be so critical about. It is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
      If you actually believe RHEL 6 represents any single Fedora release, you do not understand the process.
      That was exactly my point; it can't. Fedora's basically a R&D lab that tries to make the latest, greatest and most fragile FLOSS available for end users. It is no wonder that RHEL doesn't represent Fedora even if it uses it as a starting point. There is all kinds of stability work, testing and putting it to the test for certification to become ready for the enterprise.

Now then, as Red Hat has to do all these things to make Fedora worty of doing enterprise work, how is stressing the Fedora development going to ensure endusers will even be able to use Fedora as a Linux distribution for their daily computing needs?

Besides Fedora updates on a daily basis is because updates currently are not limited to security and bug fixes but new features as well. That might change for the upcoming release but getting a release out on time is not something to be so critical about. It is a good thing.
      Even so; it can't even keep Empathy from crashing on a daily basis. And that is the nature of Fedora and the bleeding edge is what I like and want and I know what comes along with it. But if the QA isn't going to work for this new mentality then I don't know if I can still use Fedora. The sad reality is that if Fedora would become even more fragile than I have to go back to Ubuntu or find myself once again another distro.

Comment

But if the QA isn't going to work for this new mentality then I don't know if I can still use Fedora. The sad reality is that if Fedora would become even more fragile than I have to go back to Ubuntu or find myself once again another distro.
        I have to admit I don't understand why you are saying this. It contradicts everything in the article and everything that the Fedora folks here have posted.

The plan is to tweak upstream practices to reduce the chance of blocker bugs appearing late in the cycle, not to lower the quality bar.
        Test signature

Comment

The real breaker for me is Fedora's massive lack of polish. Even if Ubuntu has a few bugs, they are quickly fixed.

Comment

The very company that you work for took Fedora 12 to make RHEL 6.0 that's released just days ago and you tell me that what's released today is the 'right quality'? And then you want to put more pressure on the release?

I just updated the very Fedora install that I'm posting this from and I get more updates on almost a daily basis than the hack and slash Ubuntu with their blended Linux kernels and X version.

RHEL 6 is not done yet. It'll be turned inside out by hundereds of people in pre migration testing. Those guys can find 10 times more bugs than anything the community testers can find. It's just layers of testing.

Comment

I see. I guess I should have obtained more knowledge before posting =x

Comment

Nah, posting is fine, just maybe ask questions rather than making statements
                Test signature

Comment

You can check the Fedora release criteria here:

you can read the logs of all the meetings for F12 and F13 where we worked on resolving release critical issues, and made the decisions about whether to ship or delay releases, in public too; they're all at meetbot.fedoraproject.org somewhere. If you're really interested I'll dig out the exact links for you.

Yes, Fedora is a faster moving and more experimental distribution than RHEL. This means it gets more updates (as someone else pointed out, most of these are new releases and feature updates, not necessarily bug fixes for things we should have fixed before releasing), and we do set a looser quality standard for it than RH QA does for RHEL. But we certainly intend to ensure that it's entirely usable as a day-to-day desktop distribution.

As another poster pointed out, RHEL releases are not built off any single Fedora base. The RHEL 6 process has also been going on for a long time, even if public betas only just started going out; we've certainly had people working towards RHEL 6 since well before F13 was out. You can't really assume 'RHEL X is based on Fedora Y hence even RH says Fedora Y+1 sucks!', it just doesn't work that way.

Comment

Working...
                  X