No announcement yet.

A Five-Way Linux Distribution Comparison In 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's interesting to see that Michael replied to everything (even flames) but not the actual technical questions raised by some of us.

Mainly:
    - Since there is no "stock configuration" for Arch, how DID you configure it?
    - What driver/version did you use for the ATI card for Arch?

All the flamewar aside, can you please answer these Michael?

Comment

I've forgot one, crucial question:

What's your comments and interpretation on the results? Like, since they are all Linux, what actually caused the performance differences? You do realize benchmarks without a conclusion is useless, right?

Comment

dcc24 is perfectly right.
        A very easy thing to do for a start would be to update Arch to the current version, and see if that changes the result. As I showed before, I did not see a difference for the x264 test with my other Linux install (Mandriva cooker), but I use an up-to-date Arch. Either Mandriva suffers the same penalty, either I cannot see the issue (64-bit, i7 CPU, etc), or finally this regression you see has been corrected with the new kernel/gcc/libraries, etc.

Comment

Frankly, I don't believe it is even possible to install X and KDE without updating the whole system first - 2010.5 is not a "Release" but a snapshot, and it does only include core. So for example X or graphic drivers etc would not be in sync with the core install from iso, since they progressed since the 2010.5 snapshot was made. I am sure he updated the whole system right after the install (as you normally do before installing anything else), if not, that would be totally stupid.

Comment

Just saw this:
            Arch Linux results are not available for the OpenGL tests due to problems with the system.
            lol - what problems? and how would you know that these don't compromise the other tests? real shortness on overall information here...

Comment

Originally posted by gr.es View Post
              I am sure he updated the whole system right after the install (as you normally do before installing anything else), if not, that would be totally stupid.
              Oh yes ? So why does he publish that the Arch kernel in the article is version 2.6.33, when the first version of the 2.6.34 has been released for Arch on the 17th of May, 41 days ago (Subversion (root)/kernel26/trunk/PKGBUILD - Revision 80408)? At least he should give the test date if this article were really scientific.

As you write, that is totally stupid, like this whole article !

Comment

This thread gets two thumbs up from me!

Comment

*Meanwhile, in Redmond, WA...*
                  "Popcorn, anyone?"

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Anyone is welcome to reproduce the results.
                    Hardware C2D [email protected], 2GiB RAM, Nvidia GF 275
                    Ubuntu: Compiz turned off, Nvidia drivers v 256.35
                    Arch: DE:KDE 4.4.5, WM:Openbox, stock kernel with minor patches for low latency desktop. Everything else 100% stock.

Tests where Arch supposed to sucks.

And sneak peek @ Windows vs Linux games performance

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
                      *Meanwhile, in Redmond, WA...*
                      "Popcorn, anyone?"
                      Well one can see it this way, i.e. a pointless distro war.
                      On the other hand, we have a great opportunity here to understand what is happening, and this could benefit ALL distros, ALL Linux users.
                      Two choices. Too bad the correct choice does not seem to interest a lot of people.

Comment

Working...
                      X