No announcement yet.

A Five-Way Linux Distribution Comparison In 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a lot more to distros than just their raw performance. I really wish Phoronix would stick to benchmarking individual components (kernels, video drivers, etc) than distros. Or stick with distro vs. windows if you really have to roll huge own-back-patting benchmarks every once in a while.

Comment

Thank you Micheal, and of course, please ignore the usual Arch fanboi rantings. They are a lost lot. You can see them aggressively peddling Arch to anyone with issues on Ubuntu. Their favorite line, try Arch.....its the universal panacea for all your ills just like Mac boys do. Condescending superiority complex which is just annoying. When they are challenged, they would then extol the virtues of its speed over Ubuntu and how less bloated it is. Well proof is in the benchmarks, no ifs and or buts and Ubuntu, Fedora, SuSE have proven it conclusively.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJ View Post
        So because the author of this article couldn't setup the arch system properly arch is bad and slow? How awesome. It's this kind of crap that makes me sigh at phoronix all too frequently these days.
        Then you don't have to be here.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post

Ouch!

Now that was truly surprising wasn't it but of course, as they say, it wasn't optimized install, it never ever will be.

Comment

What would be clever, instead of only publishing raw results, would be to understand why there are so much difference between PCLinuxOS and Arch and the other distributions. All of them are Linux. So is it caused by a bad configuration ? Is it caused by a kernel patch (the scheduler ?) Is it caused by some daemon running in the background ?

This would be a lot more interesting. Because what happen on Arch could also happen on Suse or Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
              Woah, I didn't expect Arch to be that slow. I'll make sure I stay away from it.

X D
              I bet you are using Ubuntu, Arch isn't for clueless noobs like you.

But what would you expect a Novell fanboy?

Feed the flames! :P

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                I bet you are using Ubuntu, Arch isn't for clueless noobs like you.

But what would you expect a Novell fanboy?
                Listen, smartass. I work as IT ingeenir in one of the biggest high schools of the state and Ive been using Linux since circa 1987 well before you lot were alive and. Ive set up more servers than I care to remember and know what the real unix is about. BIG IRON, kid, so dont say me noob cause your the noob. Its no my problem if you cant read numbers: arch went DOWN cause it sucks and allways did. And what is this non nonsense about novell?! FYI, I hate fedora as much as next guy in the door cause its underperfomant in some situations, so shut up already and stop the trolls.

And BTW, I suggest to repeat some of the benchmarks making sure the cylinders are aligned to the first section, it can have a HUGE effect, especially in virtualised environments.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                  Listen, smartass. I work as IT ingeenir in one of the biggest high schools of the state and Ive been using Linux since circa 1987 well before you lot were alive and. Ive set up more servers than I care to remember and know what the real unix is about. BIG IRON, kid, so dont say me noob cause your the noob. Its no my problem if you cant read numbers: arch went DOWN cause it sucks and allways did. And what is this non nonsense about novell?! FYI, I hate fedora as much as next guy in the door cause its underperfomant in some situations, so shut up already and stop the trolls.

And BTW, I suggest to repeat some of the benchmarks making sure the cylinders are aligned to the first section, it can have a HUGE effect, especially in virtualised environments.
                  Brillant, no wonder why you bash Arch then. IT departments are completely clueless, high-school IT departments doubly so.

If you knew half as much as you say you know, you'd know that a properly configured Arch installation will completely blow Red Hat, SuSE, Debian and the like out of the water. Instead of buying new hardware all the time and spending your time aligning partitions, you'd cut your expenses by half *and* you'd always be up-to-date for better security.

Then again, what'd you expect from high-school IT? (You don't happen to be working for the Lower Merion School District, by any chance?)

Comment

Originally posted by xir_ View Post
                    Arch, an ancient African word meaning i'm up my own arse.

Anyway humor aside there is a clear way to fix this Michael. If i was you i would invite one Gentoo pro, an Arch pro, an Ubuntu pro etc to set up a system of yours via ssh tunnel, let them configure it and then let them duke it out in the benchmarks.

Linux Olympics.
                    I certainly like that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by xir_ View Post
                      but boring as hell.

Well my other suggestion was going to be stallman, but i thought better of it.
                      Would be like: "Dist X is fastest but since line Y in code Z is proprietary results are invalid. Screw you guys I'm going home."

Nothing against Stallman he's great. (but sure has his flaws )

Comment

Working...
                      X