Even With MeeGo, Poulsbo & Moorestown Are Crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    I suspect that the EMGD may mean the end for US15W support from IEGD. The reason for doing this is simple: The SGX535 is non-intel IP, the rest of IEGD is for intel-IP GPUs. That basically means that implementing new levels of support for IEGD for intel-IP requires the added step of intel implementing the same level of support for non-intel-IP and requires 3rd party approval.
    On the other hand, I see more things implemented in the non-Intel-IP side than on the Intel-IP side. In particular, video decode acceleration. IEGD does not support that on G45 chips for example. Besides, IEGD supports OpenGL ES on US15W.

But I agree with you, it makes more sense to have a dedicated branch for US15W/MRST development. Those are different architectures, thus possibly different people working on that anyway.

Comment

Looks like they're targeting JULY for an EMGD release according to this: http://bugs.meego.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2205

And judging by this: http://bugs.meego.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2226
      ** it would appear that EMGD ***IS*** IEGD. Right down to the point where they developed EMGD straight out of IEGD. This kind of supports my theory that they are discontinuing SGX support in IEGD and focusing on a driver specifically for it.

Comment

Considering intel's said the Atom Z600 series *cannot* run Windows, they'd better get this smeg sorted out quick, since otherwise they won't be able to run *anything* worth a darn

Although hopefully they were smart enough to enable VT-x on the Z600 (if possible) and then it wouldn't be too hard to emu a PC on that...

Comment

I'm also a bit frustrated. I bought my netbook as many in the hope that Intel would provide a well working open source driver, at least excluding 3d and vaapi. Then I managed to get it running at all and then including 3d and vaapi (see http://linux-tipps.blogspot.com/2009...-msi-wind.html) and i was quite happy.
          But I never managed to get several things to work:
          * reliable standby (works once or twice if I haven't used 3d or vaapi)
          * backlight regulation.
          (Does anyone know how to fix any of this?)

Now I have the crazy situation that in Windows XP I can use standby and 3d but no HD, and in Linux I have better quality and vaapi HD video playback and 3d, but no standby. And I'm frustrated.
          It's such a nice netbook and performs so well otherwise, it's really frustrating if drivers keep you from really enjoying what you bought. Please Intel, at least release open source specs!!!

Comment

btw. Has anyone managed to get DXVA running in Windows XP or Vista or 7?

Comment

Why don't you use W7? You need DXVA2 anyway when you want to try vlc 1.1.

Comment

Originally posted by djtm View Post
                btw. Has anyone managed to get DXVA running in Windows XP or Vista or 7?
                Yes, it's working on my Fit-PC2 with Windows 7.

Comment

Originally posted by gellert View Post
                  Yes, it's working on my Fit-PC2 with Windows 7.
                  Thanks! Which driver are you using? Did Vlc 1.1 work for you?

Comment

Originally posted by djtm View Post
                    I'm also a bit frustrated. I bought my netbook as many in the hope that Intel would provide a well working open source driver, at least excluding 3d and vaapi. Then I managed to get it running at all and then including 3d and vaapi (see http://linux-tipps.blogspot.com/2009...-msi-wind.html) and i was quite happy.
                    But I never managed to get several things to work:
                    * reliable standby (works once or twice if I haven't used 3d or vaapi)
                    * backlight regulation.
                    (Does anyone know how to fix any of this?)

Now I have the crazy situation that in Windows XP I can use standby and 3d but no HD, and in Linux I have better quality and vaapi HD video playback and 3d, but no standby. And I'm frustrated.
                    It's such a nice netbook and performs so well otherwise, it's really frustrating if drivers keep you from really enjoying what you bought. Please Intel, at least release open source specs!!!
                    With a streamlined kernel and an SSD, and a few other system tweaks to limit SSD writes, what do you want "standby" for? My ASUS tablet w/z520 and 32GB SSD boots Fedora 12 to a usable desktop in 10 seconds flat.

Comment

yeah, I wish I had an SSD. I'm thinking about it. But I really don't have the money right now... Hence I'd much prefer a working standby.

Comment

Working...
                      X