Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• movieman
    replied
    I was going to try it out last night, but seems there's no way to get it to run in Virtualbox: it installs, but locks up after rebooting. If they're trying to get developers using it, then I'd have thought that being able to run in a VM would be a pretty high priority to make it easy to test.

Leave a comment:

• bwat47
    replied
    edit: nevermind

Leave a comment:

• hdas
    replied
    Here, let me fix this for you: s3e3.

Leave a comment:

• movieman
    replied
    Ah, I see the problem: it's _S_SSE3, not SSE3, which apparently is Intel-only at the moment:

Surely Intel could have come up with a better name that's not so easy to confuse with yet another of their acronyms?

Leave a comment:

• movieman
    replied
    Originally posted by movieman View Post
    The Meego web site says the x86 version requires SSE3
    That said, I just double-checked and couldn't find where I'd previously read that it required SSE3; so I may be hallucinating .

Leave a comment:

• movieman
    replied
    Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Uh... SSE3? Considering that there's a version of this for N900 (which happens to be a ARM Cortex-A8 based system...) I'm not quite sure where this remark you put out came from.
    The Meego web site says the x86 version requires SSE3; you could presumably recompile for older CPUs but I doubt there's any point to doing so... the primary market would be Atoms. which have SSE3.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
    oh, it'll need SSSE3, so it's pretty much Intel only. No sense in testing on an AMD CPU then
    Uh... SSE3? Considering that there's a version of this for N900 (which happens to be a ARM Cortex-A8 based system...) I'm not quite sure where this remark you put out came from.

Leave a comment:

• movieman
    replied
    Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
    oh, it'll need SSSE3, so it's pretty much Intel only. No sense in testing on an AMD CPU then
    Unless it's a late-model Athlon-64 or newer, no.

Leave a comment:

• Micket
    replied
    Originally posted by calica View Post
    J2ME. It should be good enough for everything a simple phone can do. On the right phone you have access to data network and Bluetooth. There's a simple canvas for drawing graphics. The other UI widgets are pretty basic and would be the main limiting factor. If you need more get a smartphone.
    Ultimately locked to just beeing able to make another app/game accessed from the menu, which i find extremely uninteresting.
    I'm more interested in passive applications, typically changing the behaviour of the phone itself.

I find that most phones are shit when it comes to displaying information quickly. I want to know what week it is, what date it is, how much money i have left right there on the front screen.
    More like customizing the OS rather than writing stand alone applications.

Leave a comment:

• calica
    replied
    Originally posted by Micket View Post
    How scaleable are these anyway? We got a decent set of platforms now, but they are all tailored towards super high end phones. This typically means, huge form factor, really bad battery time, and super slow startup time, and an annoying touchscreen.

I'm still looking to pick up simplistic phones, but i wouldn't mind beeing able to wrap up a custom program, and some freedom on how it displays and works.
    There doesn't seem to be anything like that, such phones i like use custom operating systems.
    J2ME. It should be good enough for everything a simple phone can do. On the right phone you have access to data network and Bluetooth. There's a simple canvas for drawing graphics. The other UI widgets are pretty basic and would be the main limiting factor. If you need more get a smartphone.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X