openSUSE 11.3 Pulls In New Kernel & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bugmenot2 View Post
    Nice trolling but several studies over the years show Novell developers are in the top three of contributors to the kernel (see eg Table 9 of the pdf linked in this linux-magazine article http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online...Writing-Linux/ ).

Also I believe they have the highest number of paid developers for KDE of any distro, and in imho produce the most polished packages (as well as access to bleeding-edge and legacy repositorues).
    and don't forget the build service, its brilliant and not only for opensuse

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      Is there anyone outside Novell actually using this distro nowadays? Sometimes I wonder why they keep bothering.
      Unlike Ubuntu and Fedora, openSUSE actually works and is not some experimental beta test.

openSUSE is the best choice if you want a stable OS base and new end-user applications.

Originally posted by xir_ View Post
      unfortunately all my research computers are running opensuse. I hate it with such a passion. nothing against novel. i just don't like yum.
      LOL. Epic fail.
      Go away and don't return which distro you actually use. openSUSE with zypper or Fedora/CentOS/RHEL with yum.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
        What's wrong with OpenSuse? Aside from the philosophical stuff, the distro itself is pretty solid. Sure, it's not that bleeding edge and therefore "boring", but it's stable and with some nice features.
        This. Its not my preferred distro but its solid and has good system management features with yast. Its popular in schools and business. All of my college computers dual boot suse with windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Xilanaz View Post
          and don't forget the build service, its brilliant and not only for opensuse
          Don't forget SUSEStudio and openFate. They were also the ones that started the compositing revolution on the linux desktop (Compiz/XGL), YaST has already been mentioned, zypper, as well as many other contributions to key linux packages. They also have specific kernels tuned for the desktop role, support upgrade packages such as newer versions of Gnome and KDE, of course kernel contributions, IRC training sessions, kiwi, and many more. Anybody that says " because they do nothing new. They only pack packages together, test a lot and release." clearly has their head stuck in the sand.

Comment

PS the full patchset for the Phenom X6's which allows Turbomode has also been integrated into their 2.6.34 kernel (this really should have been pulled into the official 2.6.34 tree but didn't make it). It's not limited to the one liner patch that allows minimal function that is found in the vanilla.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              Is there anyone outside Novell actually using this distro nowadays? Sometimes I wonder why they keep bothering.
              It's #4 on distrowatch and consistently rated as one of the best kde distros.

So yes.

Comment

[QUOTE=bugmenot2;130444]Nice trolling but several studies over the years show Novell developers are in the top three of contributors to the kernel (see eg Table 9 of the pdf linked in this linux-magazine article http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online...Writing-Linux/ ).

I'm not talking about Kernel. I'm sure openSUSE handles it pretty swiftly. But I'm talking about innovations we can actually look at without firing up Vim...

Comment

[QUOTE=Peterson Spaceport;130628]
                  Originally posted by bugmenot2 View Post
                  Nice trolling but several studies over the years show Novell developers are in the top three of contributors to the kernel (see eg Table 9 of the pdf linked in this linux-magazine article http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online...Writing-Linux/ ).

I'm not talking about Kernel. I'm sure openSUSE handles it pretty swiftly. But I'm talking about innovations we can actually look at without firing up Vim...
                  Did you read any of the other posts in this thread? People already listed plenty of non-kernel examples.

Comment

Novell's PR department seems to be failing at communicating their innovations: some people think that Novell developers are sitting on their asses and eating hamburgers or something.

Comment

This stupid rant against Novell/Suse is really ugly. Truth is, Novell and SUSE developers are one of the most powerful community in the Linux world. Novell/SUSE is the biggest supporter of KDE paying many developers. Novell/SUSE produce GO-OO, which is most popular variant of Openoffice, far more community friendly than SUNs original. Did you realized, that even your distribution use Openoffice from Novell?

Oh Yes. Maybe Novell has weak PR. Maybe Novell and SUSE should waste their effort and money to self propagation instead of huge contributing, which is exactly what Shuttleworth does. Canonical Ubuntu's biggest effort is PR and self-propagating and parasiting others work. I don't think the is the best way for SUSE.

Comment

Working...
                      X