Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Ripping it out it is then...

OK so my onboard is a HD3300. Can it handle OpenGL (ES) stuff with Fedora? For example Blender and games?
    I'm just guessing here but if past performance is indicative of future results then...
    Fedora 11 fleshed out 2d open source but it was RAW and harsh with tons of people having to install under vesa mode.
    Fedora 12 made good strides towards getting 2d on everything and somewhat working. Still doesn't work on everything but it moved well and is backporting well.

Fedora 13 is going to be kind of raw. But it's getting at the changeover from hal to devicekit so fedora is doing a really respectable job of identifying and taking control of your hardware and using it properly. But I just don't expect to see the opensource driver running rings around anything this release. But I'd be willing to bet most everything in the repos gets running decently by eol and it starts doing some pretty wonderful things with wine by eol.

I'm downloading it now and switching soon as I backup and get a chance.

Comment

Well the funny thing is that Fedora 12 was buggy as hell untill I installed KDE from the repos.

I am realy not kidding you. The transparant Gnome panel got a lot of purple pixel rot. Totem and other apps simply crashed on regular time intervals. It was a complete disaster.

Comment

v1ncent: that's not unusual, KDE and GNOME seem to hit rather different rendering paths. I've seen several issues like yours, where one is fine but the other has trouble. To answer your questions, I'd say the easiest way to test is simply 'suck it and see' - grab an F13 live image and try running the apps you care about. There's so many cards out there that, with the additional complications of card/monitor combinations, it's hard to predict with confidence exactly how well any system will run without trying it. I'd say there's a reasonable chance the stuff you need to work will work.

Comment

Holy Sweet Mother Of God!

Fedora 13 does not only have a sleek as hell theme for the KDE spin and KMS and (at least it appears to so: ) pageflipping non flickering stuff, working on Evergreen.

But dear GOD! It... is... so... fscking... fast!

I can scroll faster than my 2ms response time flatpanel can handle! And the animations are smooooooooooth! Fscking hell... Konqueror is faaaaaaaaaaaast! Like zooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooof!

And scrolling between desktops... man... I can scroll between desktops with my scrollwheel and you can see the monitor not being able to bring up and down the window fast enough because you can see it halve purple-ish and fading-ish.

It is insane! I am even running it from a free handed out low-speed 1GB flash drive (on my front USB 1.0 for crying out load!) and everything loads sooooooooooooooo fast! It is as if you take Windows95 and run it on a Core i7 Extreme overclocked.

Not to mention that Konqueror now uses the background color of websites for the color that the scroll wheel is supposed to be and the buttons and text input feelds... Wow!

Damn... This. Is. Computing, baby!

Putting this SOaB on my HDD tommorow!

*Yes I'll go sit in the corner and cool down now*

Comment

Ya it's great isn't it. But unfortunately they orphaned gnome-applet-netspeed and I can live without that, but I'm not happy. I'm on test box right now seeing where it's at before installing. As great as the new suite of apps like disk utility and the way gnome moves through folders, I'm not upgrading main box. Test box has got a unconcious and won't restart bug reporting tool and I still can't figure out what is wrong with that sucker. Too risky.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              Holy Sweet Mother Of God!

Fedora 13 does not only have a sleek as hell theme for the KDE spin and KMS and (at least it appears to so: ) pageflipping non flickering stuff, working on Evergreen.

But dear GOD! It... is... so... fscking... fast!

Putting this SOaB on my HDD tommorow!

*Yes I'll go sit in the corner and cool down now*
              "...working on Evergreen..." video cards? Huh??? You sure they're not just utilizing the VESA drivers???

I read that Evergreen cards don't work in Fedora 13 with either binary or FOSS drivers... This was implied (my interpretation of the posts) by even Fedora Forum admins.

This page was a good read...according to me:
              Like its predecessors, the thirteenth version of Fedora offers numerous technological developments other distributions will only pick up in a few months' time - for example open source 3D graphics drivers for NVIDIA graphics chips

No indication though of ATI Evergreen cards 'working' in Fedora 13 unless you count Vesa drivers.

I was disappointed to read of that. I still assert that the support is not extensive and still wonder if it's a decision not to have more developers, not pay enough or choosing not to engage enough resources.

Even Nvidia with their crappy (depending on who you talk to) Fermi cards, seem to work with the latest distros/Fedora 13 despite the updated X-Server versions. Yeah, they're binary but one with that card with have their 3D and be able to watch videos.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                "...working on Evergreen..." video cards? Huh??? You sure they're not just utilizing the VESA drivers???
                If KMS works for VESA then probably yes. Will however rip out my Evergreen and go back to HD3300.

Still have that Radeon 9800 pro... but it is AGP >.<

Comment

Working...
                X