No announcement yet.

Haiku OS Makes Way With Second Alpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed, I installed Haiku yesterday with Virtualbox and you can attach the 2Gb partition they provide with the compressed vmdk image. I'm quite impressed by the OS, although it's a bit buggy at the moment. I want to install the KDE4 applications provided by the TiltOS project, it looks pretty neat. I'm curious about its performance when installed on real hardware; without the guest additions it's already very snappy when running virtualised.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
      I thought BeOS was a non-UNIX operating system. Why are they working on improving POSIX support in Haiku?
      You'd be suprised to find that even Windows is POSIX compatible since Windows 2000. Because of the NT architecture, made to embrace, extend and extinguish as it supports multiple API's of which Win32 is one of them, but Microsoft was so successful it never had to support any other API's untill they realized that their asses where getting kicked by Linux servers.

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
      Indeed, I installed Haiku yesterday with Virtualbox and you can attach the 2Gb partition they provide with the compressed vmdk image. I'm quite impressed by the OS, although it's a bit buggy at the moment. I want to install the KDE4 applications provided by the TiltOS project, it looks pretty neat. I'm curious about its performance when installed on real hardware; without the guest additions it's already very snappy when running virtualised.
      It can do two 3D apps in OpenGL in software mode and play about 30 avi vids simultanously on a dual PentiumII 400mHz. So yeah it is fast because if how it is programmed.

However cramp anything non-Haiku/BeOS on it like GTK/Qt and it will not have that much of speed. The key is killing the layers and cutting complexity.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
        The VMware zip file has a 2gb expanding blank bfs partition you could use...
        No, I can't. Development tools can only be installed on the first HD.

This is just brain damaged if you ask me. :-/

Comment

Uh, it does sound weird. Couldn't you install from the iso to a virtual drive instead of using the prepackaged vmdk images? I know the guy from the TiltOS project mentions something about lack of space in the official Haiku images, but I don't know what he says the solution is...

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post

Ah I didn't realise that I only play with the VM image for a couple minutes before sticking it on a hard drive.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post

And Haiku is still Alpha. I bet that more exquisite partition handling is rather far down of the developers' TODO list for early Alpha versions.

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
                And Haiku is still Alpha. I bet that more exquisite partition handling is rather far down of the developers' TODO list for early Alpha versions.
                The problem is the people who made the VMWare image decided to restrict the size of the virtual drive for no obvious reason other than making it impossible to install anything on it.

I don't want to step on other people's toes, but someone in there needs to think before they act :P

Comment

The iso image installed and worked fine in KVM. It boots very fast and I found it similar to PuppyLinux.

Comment

Working...
                  X