Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiku OS Makes Way With Second Alpha

Phoronix: Haiku OS Makes Way With Second Alpha

The Wine project isn't the only free software project with official releases being few and far between, but the Haiku Project is in a similar boat. Development on Haiku, the open-source reincarnation of BeOS, started back in 2001 but the first alpha release was only released last year. This month, however, the second alpha release of the Haiku OS has arrived...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow! Freaking nice!

I know what I'll be running on my old EEE Celeron netbook from now on!

Comment

It would be interesting to see some basic benchmarks (IO, disk r/w, GLXgears..) of HaikuOS vs. Linux in Phoronix articles. It definately feels like snappiest system around, but feeling isn't worth knowledge.

Comment

GL benchmarks would be pointless its sofware rendering still... gallium and native drivers may or may not be in progress (there was a guy working on a linux driver layer but it may not be releaasable since he did it at his workplace)

And of course Haiku already has a gallium port which is worked on occasionally (search aljen in the bug tracker)

IO benchmarks would be relevant .. compile times and transcoding audio etc would as well.

BTW you can boot up haiku with as little as 48Mb ram now but it only becomes usable around 96Mb which is enough to load the Web+ browser and open facebook.com. Them min recommended is of course still 128Mb ram....

Comment

Benchmarking would be absolutely useless because the power of Haiku is in their own API's, called 'kits' and their parallel programming.

I've tried Haiku in the past and it is clear from an end user point of view that it is so fast at what it does that benchmarking for speed is simply pointless...

Comment

I thought BeOS was a non-UNIX operating system. Why are they working on improving POSIX support in Haiku?

Comment

To be able to use linux stuff, obviously

Comment

I think you'll find BeOS had POSIX compatibility.

Comment

In the past, I downloaded the VMWare image of the previous alpha of Haiku in order to see if I can port an application I'm maintaining to this OS. After I was unable to install the needed development tools because of lack of disk space (45MB free :-/). So I gave it up.

I was hoping that the alpha 2 will address the problem of free disk space. But to my astonishment, it didn't. I can't possibly imagine why anyone would limit the size of the first virtual HD this way. It's impossible to install this:

I don't use Haiku myself, but think it's a good idea for developers to port their applications to it. But they're not making it exactly easy for us :-/

Comment

The VMware zip file has a 2gb expanding blank bfs partition you could use...

Comment

Working...
                    X