Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing Out Ubuntu's Unity Desktop

Phoronix: Testing Out Ubuntu's Unity Desktop

As we reported this morning, via a blog post and keynote to kick-off the start of the Ubuntu Developer Summit this week for engaging in Ubuntu 10.10 development activities, Mark Shuttleworth announced Ubuntu Light and Ubuntu Unity. Ubuntu Light is a new spin of Ubuntu that is being offered up to OEMs that are looking to offer Ubuntu Linux as part of a dual-boot installation on their PCs. Unity is the new Ubuntu desktop interface that is used by Ubuntu Light.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I see you got a nice screenshot of Evolution in there. Not something I directly associate with light. Wouldn't be surprised if they included that gwibber/desktopcouch/erlang bloat as well. Might as well throw in F-Spot. seriously.

Comment

Hi,

Heh. Gwibber was good for a while before it grow all the couch dependencies. Now it has a high run time cost as well

Fedora 13 uses Pino by default which is a pretty fast and simple alternative. Shotwell instead of F-Spot. Looks like we are pretty light already :-)

Unity might be a complimentary interface technology wise to GNOME Shell but in terms of how development is done, it is miles apart. Red Hat developers worked in the open from the start and have made it part of GNOME 3.0 release while Unity seems to have been developed in house and presented as a finished product. There is a general history of open development winning but I will keep my eyes open.

Comment

Did I just see Windows 7's status bar on the right hand side of the screen? Integrated launch icon / task has been used in MacOS X and Win7 for years, congrats Ubuntu for reventing the wheel the third time! Also, it's done uglier!

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
          ...Integrated launch icon / task has been used in... Win7 for years...
          people amuse me.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
            Hi,

Heh. Gwibber was good for a while before it grow all the couch dependencies. Now it has a high run time cost as well

Fedora 13 uses Pino by default which is a pretty fast and simple alternative. Shotwell instead of F-Spot. Looks like we are pretty light already :-)

Unity might be a complimentary interface technology wise to GNOME Shell but in terms of how development is done, it is miles apart. Red Hat developers worked in the open from the start and have made it part of GNOME 3.0 release while Unity seems to have been developed in house and presented as a finished product. There is a general history of open development winning but I will keep my eyes open.
            You just convinced another person to try Fedora again once 13 is out. XD

Comment

I read on Ars Technica that Gwibber will move to a sqlite backend, because couchdb is not a good fit for its high IO load. Right tool for the job and all...

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                Hi,

Gwibber has already shed the CouchDB dependency in favor of SQLite. The performance hit was too great.

(It will still be able to use CouchDB but this will be optional. The next version will be using SQLite by default.)

Edit: beaten.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
                  I read on Ars Technica that Gwibber will move to a sqlite backend, because couchdb is not a good fit for its high IO load. Right tool for the job and all...
                  That's indeed to good to hear but Pino will likely have a smaller footprint and a lower run time cost still because it is written in Vala and compiled into a native binary (Vala compiles to C which is in turn is compiled by GCC into native executables) without any need for a VM while Gwibber will still pull in Python as a always running instance on your desktop if you choose to use it.

Comment

Working...
                  X