Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Windows 7 Actually Faster Than Ubuntu 10.04?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yes and how well the full scope of features compare in practice.

Comment

• Instead trying to use vdr on win you could use xbmc on win via vtp://ip as video input or the xbmc pvr2 variant. That would be much more logical. Instead of vdr you would most likely use dvbviewer or mediaportal on win - but i don't get how you BENCH that? Often the dvb drivers for win are really unstable compared to the linux ones...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Instead trying to use vdr on win you could use xbmc on win via vtp://ip as video input or the xbmc pvr2 variant. That would be much more logical. Instead of vdr you would most likely use dvbviewer or mediaportal on win - but i don't get how you BENCH that? Often the dvb drivers for win are really unstable compared to the linux ones...

Crashes per day?

Comment

• Well the Terratec driver for 1200 DVB-C have been really unstable on Win when i tested it. I don't have got other DVB-C cards to try but definitely the Linux driver for this card are way better. Most likely thats the same with other fully supported cards.

Comment

• I will know very soon which OS works best overall for me.
            I will have 1x single dvb-c tuner (maybe more), 1x dual dvb-t, h57 mobo, core i3-530, essence st, x25-v 40GB ssd, & maybe a gt220.
            To name just a few components... I suspect it will be Linux-based.

Comment

• with xbmc as frontend you might not even need the nv card when you use patched kernel + libdrm.

Comment

• Well, many of the DVB cards have hw mpeg2/4 decoding. They could be benched on up to what bitrate each card can take it

Comment

• No, most cards are budget, not fullfeatured with extra tv output. I think there is only one ff card for h264 with hdmi output. Usually you use codecs which support DXVA2 on win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    with xbmc as frontend you might not even need the nv card when you use patched kernel + libdrm.
                    that's the idea, but i wont be surprised if i inevitably want/need the gt220 for extra oomph.

Comment

• Maybe you should get the hardware first

Comment

Working...
                      X