Ubuntu 10.04 Hit By Major Bug; ISOs Now Being Re-Spun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
    It has been a 'hype' for almost 6 years now.

Ubuntu

Will the 'hype' fade? We'll have to wait and see. In the meantime:

Gentoo

If you want more coverage of your favorite distro, I suggest you try to make it more attractive for a wider audience.
    Those results could be because Gentoo Linux has fewer problems than Ubuntu Linux users, so there is no need for its users to do searches for it.

By the way, Sabayon is a Gentoo-based distribution, not Gentoo Linux itself. Treating it like it is Gentoo is like treating Ubuntu like it is Debian.

Originally posted by wanas View Post
    Is there a place to get the re-spin iso ? Actually im downloading one from the official torrent but when I heard that bug I stopped the download and looking for the re-spin one ?
    It takes time to do a respin. You will not see it for a few days. Canonical cannot snap its fingers and make it appear instantly.

Comment

Originally posted by next9 View Post
      I can not understand, why technically scoped media like phoronix, still support this piece of shit.
      That's simply because Michael, owner of Phoronix, uses Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        That's simply because Michael, owner of Phoronix, uses Ubuntu.
        Well maybe because next to gaining more Linux adoption, it is simply the most widely know and widely used Linux distro for which the most proprietary apps are made?

If I didn't get such a newb-friendly, learning encouraging distro to hop onto something better I would have never used Linux as my primary OS in the first place.

If I have time to score a composite AV cable for the PSP and figure out what extrenal USB composite AV UVC capture card I can get and the nessecary drivers and a nice GUI app that I can fullscreen to play in realtime, it is bye bye for Windows. Not to mention Steam comming to Linux.

All thanks to Ubuntu.

Realy, I have tried and tried and tried to get onto the Gentoo bandwagopn because it was elite (always like to learn more) and because Gentoo was so tecnical I should be able to better learn Linux. In the end it was realy usefull for dual booting (wtf is hd0, etc...).

Comment

The preview iso images had a very bad installer. Once i used the manual mode to create a new partition (instead of using gparted) then i had a partition bigger than the disk. That of course lead to stupid errors like cfdisk no longer working. That's definitely not newbie friendly - hopefully thats fixed. The Kubuntu installer frontend is stupid too. I did not try dolphin, maybe somebody could test if it is now possible to mount partitions by clicking on em now like in gnome - using policykit (via hal usually for kde).

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            I did not try dolphin, maybe somebody could test if it is now possible to mount partitions by clicking on em now like in gnome - using policykit (via hal usually for kde).
            Works ok for my NTFS Vista partition...

Comment

Without fstab entry?

Comment

Ubuntu (or Mint) actually serves as a gateway to the Linux world, the way I see it. That's why its role is immensely important. Unless your nose is stuck up your arse you possibly cannot recommend Gentoo to someone coming from the Windows world, or just someone with no prior knowledge of computers. But if you tell them to install Ubuntu or Mint, and they're technologically curious, they might, with time, progress to more self exploration. But it's entirely up to them, unlike some brainfuck distros like Gentoo that (well, when I installed it it was like that...) force you to read their entire user manual before installation.

I've been through the Gentoo hell once, and the minute I had to wait, and wait, and wait for a frigging Mousepad or some other trivial software I needed at the moment to compile, I ditched it for something a bit more practical.

Comment

Without fstab entry?
                  Without. It's enough to click on the partition icon in Dolphin and it will be automatically mounted.

Comment

Without fstab entry?
                    yes without one

Comment

Without fstab entry?
                      It works for me since some releases. In the other part, with some openSUSE version I got the devicekit/hal error.

Comment

Working...
                      X