No announcement yet.

Major OS Showdown w/ Windows Tests Are Imminent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Up to 10 OpenGL games + SPECViewPerf 10 running on PTS cross-platform on Windows and Linux (some of them on OS X too)... A few more may come, but I am only adding the Windows compatibility to the test profiles that have upstream Linux/Windows equivalents. Like ET: Quake Wars and their versioning has become different between the Linux and Windows clients along with some of their changes, so that's being left out, for example.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Ubuntu with NVidia is a sucky combination. I don't know what's wrong but the gaming performance under Ubuntu is slow, so windows are gonna kill Ubuntu in these tests. Fedora would be a more serious competitor.

Comment

Originally posted by kUrb1a View Post
        I'm getting really excited because of this,...I have a baaaad,feeling that Linus T. was right with saying Linux is bloated and i can guess that Ubuntu will exploit that just fine,...and people will draw very bad conclusions about Linux in whole,..
        Total bull. What Ubuntu can exploit it has "safer" settings as default. Damn, my 64bit Linux kernel is smaller then Win XP 32 bit kernel. Really bloated. Linus was according to something else, but like you said people draw very bad conclusions.

@Deanjo

I wouldn't be so confident about that considering that the latest versions of windows are stomping on linux in webserving according to some sites and especially the performance hit that is incurred with the ext4 filesystem default that has bee adopted by so many distros.
        Exactly.

Comment

I forget to mention Ubuntu has also debugging enabled...

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            Total bull. What Ubuntu can exploit it has "safer" settings as default. Damn, my 64bit Linux kernel is smaller then Win XP 32 bit kernel. Really bloated. Linus was according to something else, but like you said people draw very bad conclusions.

@Deanjo

Exactly.
            Sorry, I was replying only to second part - about Ext4 :P We saw nice Linux vs Windows server 2008 scalability results in other thread :>

Comment

While Linux has long been talked about as being a faster operating system than Microsoft Windows, in 2010 is this still the case? It seems every time we deliver new benchmarks of the EXT4 file-system it's actually getting slower, recent Linux kernel releases have not been delivering any major performance enhancements for desktop users, the open-source Linux graphics drivers are still no match to the proprietary drivers, and "bloated and huge" is how Linus Torvalds described the Linux kernel last year. This is all while Windows 7 was released last year, which many view as Microsoft's best operating system release to date. Even after using it a fair amount the past few months in preparation for this about-to-be-shared work, it is actually not too bad and is a huge improvement over Windows Vista, but is it really faster than Ubuntu Linux? We have used six uniquely different systems and ran Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64 and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS x86_64 on each of them with a set of 55 tests (actually, more than 165 if considering that each test is usually run at least three times for accuracy) per installation.
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
              X