No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Gets Another ATI Catalyst Driver Handout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"debuild -b" does a bit more, it also checks for build-depends using dpkg-checkbuilddeps. Just install devscripts package to have all tools mentioned. That's the shortcut way for what you did manually. So of course your commands are correct too. Using apt-get source -b is certainly the most easy way when you just want to recompile things. I don't get why it was not available for you. If you want to do some more testing i suggest:

To test that xbmc auto/glsl is broken, only arb works. The comments in the scripts should be executed as root, the script itself as user. Maybe somebody wants to add a bugzilla entry, i wont do that. The bug is present in ALL fglrx releases i tested so far...

Comment

Well the packages built and I was able to install them in my test partition that already has the previously unsupported X.org, so I'm content as far as getting my hands on those packages goes! It seems however that the display manager in amdcccle has seen some changes that invalidate my current configuration.

I used to be able to set both my CRT and TV as "Single display desktop (Multi-desktop)", and set their resolutions independently. Then I'd take the xorg.conf that produces and tweak it everso slightly so the tv actually becomes an X display I can send apps to with "export DISPLAY=:0.1". With the new driver "Single display desktop (Multi-desktop)" might as well be "Disable secondary screen" for all the good it does.

Made real progress towards using the xorg driver today though, so I'll probably only come back to this if that doesn't work out. Thanks again for your help/info Kano.

Comment

oblivious, I'm happy that you were able to get the new fglrx from SID to work, but what hardware are you using? I cannot get the new driver from SID to work with a 3870 : (

Comment

I'm using an HD4770.

Have you tried starting with an initial xorg.conf as opposed to your existing one? It seems like every time I upgrade fglrx, I have to wipe my old xorg.conf and run "aticonfig --initial" again to get it to work at all. Moving /etc/ati/amdpcsdb somewhere, or renaming it, might also be of some use.

I'm afraid that's just about all the advice I have wrt fglrx. Haven't been using it for more than a few months and I'm always amazed that I can get it to work at all.

Comment

The 6.13 RC2 xorg-video-radeon driver just arrived in sid also, btw. That along with a kernel from these nice Liquorix people had my test partition running quite with with KMS and 3D was good enough for desktop bling at least (and Blockout2 too!). edit: dammit hit the wrong button, might have had something more to say but oh well. xorg driver is really coming along is all...

Comment

Yeah definitely wish I hadn't hit the wrong button there, my post is rife with missing words.

had my test partition running quite nicely with KMS and 3D that was good enough ...

and sorry about the triple-post!

Comment

Originally posted by oblivious_maximus View Post
                I'm using an HD4770.

Have you tried starting with an initial xorg.conf as opposed to your existing one? It seems like every time I upgrade fglrx, I have to wipe my old xorg.conf and run "aticonfig --initial" again to get it to work at all. Moving /etc/ati/amdpcsdb somewhere, or renaming it, might also be of some use.

I'm afraid that's just about all the advice I have wrt fglrx. Haven't been using it for more than a few months and I'm always amazed that I can get it to work at all.
                Yes, I always issue the "aticonfig --initial" command after each and every fglrx installation. However, I receive a blank screen upon bootup with my 3870, Debian Squeeze/Sid (or Ubuntu 9.04) and fglrx-driver (1:10-3~prerelease-2. Is anyone else having similar issues?

Comment

Upon further investigation it seems that svideo output is totally broken in the pre-release driver. "aticonfig --initial=dual-head" seems to make an xorg.conf properly, but the tv never gets enabled when starting X. amdcccle errors out whenever I try to enable a multi-monitor config, always saying it can't enable the device and that maybe there's not enough video memory.

insert exasperated exclamation here.

Comment

on my dell 1555 the gpu fan doesnt seem to work after returning from sleep.
                    how can i check my gpu temperature?

Comment

Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
                      on my dell 1555 the gpu fan doesnt seem to work after returning from sleep.
                      how can i check my gpu temperature?
                      temperature:

aticonfig --adapter=0 --odgt
                      clocking:

aticonfig --adapter=0 --odgc
                      getting fanspeed on card 0:

aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get fanspeed 0"
                      setting fanspeed to 50% on card 0:

aticonfig --pplib-cmd 'set fanspeed 0 50'
                      getting activity (clocking, load, etc.):

aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get activity"
                      hope that helps