Ubuntu Gets Another ATI Catalyst Driver Handout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    Could someone explain to me the reason AMD is not able to support newer Xservers and kernels like nvidia does? I mean the real reason, not some BS excuse. I simply cannot understand why they are doing this. I own an ATI 3870 and since i want to use Arch, i am restricted to the opensource driver(git). I do not want to install this crappy distro called Ubuntu, whose only puprose is easy install for n00bs, just to get proper 3d for a GPU i paid 210 euros.

I seriously doubt i will buy again amd gpus in the near future, and this is a pitty since i had a nice gaming experience using my gpu on windows, and i am pleased by amd hardware in general.
    AMD have a list of officially supported distros. They support the stable versions of those distros with fglrx - and fglrx is primarily intended for the workstation market. Just because you don't like that doesn't make it invalid. It's a business choice.
    AMD does, however, support the open source drivers - which do work with all the latest & greatest kernels, xservers, etc.
    There's also nothing stopping you from sticking to previous xserver/kernel versions and using fglrx, if it's 3D stuff you need more than a version number.

Comment

You make it sound like we're being ungrateful for AMD's decisions to show the rest of us the middle finger.

Sorry AMD! We're really terribly sorry that we're not using the outdated, crap distros you're supporting officially.

Please continue to support specific distros only instead of Linux in general. It makes all our lives easier and generates more love towards you by every Linux user.

Comment

Quick report from the Arch Linux Catalyst users:

Vi0L0 extra quickly produced the repo and a PKGBUILD for the new leaked driver. Works great with 2.6.33 (patch needed), 2.6.32 and latest Xorg server 1.7.5. http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.p...728348#p728348

I was brave enough to try the GIT versions of Xorg-server and all the dependencies from the git, to see if Catalyst will be compatible with it. I can report that with udev support compiled in and dependencies correctly installed Xorg server GIT is greatly working with the leaked Catalyst 10.3-333 http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.p...728571#p728571

Games, compiz and kwin working great so far. (r800 and udv2 still producing garbled output.)

Comment

You really got vaapi working? I tested it with a karmic->lucid updated test install (as the lucid installer does not work) and fixed the detection of libAMDXvBA.so.1.0, but even vainfo is broken. If somebody with 32 bit wants to try (only tested 64 bit):

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            You make it sound like we're being ungrateful for AMD's decisions to show the rest of us the middle finger.

Sorry AMD! We're really terribly sorry that we're not using the outdated, crap distros you're supporting officially.

Please continue to support specific distros only instead of Linux in general. It makes all our lives easier and generates more love towards you by every Linux user.
            AMD probably think: we're sorry you're using fglrx drivers in an area that we don't support. We're sorry that the "outdate, crap distros" are the ones our workstation markets are using.
            Really, if you've got that much of a problem, using the open source drives - which AMD actively support as well.
            I've got nothing against people wanting earlier support from the fglrx drivers, but AMD is most definitely not giving anyone the middle finger.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              You really got vaapi working? I tested it with a karmic->lucid updated test install (as the lucid installer does not work) and fixed the detection of libAMDXvBA.so.1.0, but even vainfo is broken. If somebody with 32 bit wants to try (only tested 64 bit):

http://kanotix.com/files/fix/mplayer-vaapi-latest.txt
              Well, using xvba-video 0.6.8-1
              aur/libva-sds 0.31.0_1_10-2

and a 2178360 byte sized libAMDXvBA so
              it seems to work with mplayer-vaapi
              Using xorg-1.7.5.902 i tested. Will look at 1.8 later.

I suggest you to look at this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4321633/catalyst-beta.tar.gz

the package made by Vi0L0 that can be used to build the installer pkg locally.

Comment

btw, the watermark is gone now for my hd 5650 mobility.. so this 10.4 beta (10.3-333) contains support for it at last.

Comment

Ok I did it. Using livecd I chrooted myself into my ubuntu partition, then I installed old catalyst 10.2. And now 2D is working again.

Is there any safe way to install this newest drivers ?

Comment

Can someone tell me how to actually install this driver from launchpad.I must be doing something wrong.Someone please post list of commands.
                    (i have a intel x64 system with hd4870)

Comment

@krionius

32 or 64 bit?

Comment

Working...
                      X